Building A Lurchers Muscles To Increase Speed?

I thought garlic was bad for dogs poacherkev?

You will find in moderation (same as most things) it is fine and can have a positive benefit to general health. :thumbs:

To the OP, Speed is only going to be what the genes dictate to a certain extent. The key is good food and conditioning to get the dog fit, which takes time. ;)

Good Luck Sirius

Edited by Sirius

Salukis don't have great take off speed, whereas Whippets and Greyhounds do: sprinting the dog will help build the thigh muscles as much as genetics allow which will help take off speed. But are you sure that the lack of speed is the problem? Might it be lack of confidence? Or thinking that the rabbit, once it gets near cover, is away and uncatchable? Dogs learn pretty quickly when not to bother if they think they don't have a chance. If your dog has learned from experience at failing to catch on the lamp then it might be a hard habit to break.

As you don't know her history, who knows what she may have learned in the past: or maybe got injured tackling rabbits too close to hedges/walls/fences. If she has, then she's already starting to pull up in anticipation of a crash. Just a thought.

• Like 1

As above are you sure it's really a speed problem rather one of not meeting your expectations due to age or experince?

I'd start with a really good check over to make sure there are no injuries.

If all OK go back to basics with road work and speed work ie with a ball or pole, build up gradually then introduce to a few easy rabbits to give some confidence and see how it goes.

As to garlic good info here.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2012/02/garlic-for-pets-whats-it-good-for/

I thought garlic was bad for dogs poacherkev?

No Yorkshire-kid garlic Is very good for them most greyhound & horse trainers use it in there food that's were I got the ideal from as if it's good for the top runners in the country it must be good for my must lol

• Like 1