Breaking To Sheep

think most Try :yes: ,wether their successful is a different matter :laugh: had a few embarrassing moments around sheep :icon_redface: .Rolling down a hill upside down at 100mph in pursuit of 3 "Sheep Broken Terriers" ,after bangin in to a one In a gorse bank,it SHOULDN'T have been in.To the amusment of a pile of standing guns at the other end..for one.

Never trust the little buggers around them,rather leash up ,although the Wee Sealyham Type I,ve got Doesn't seem to bother with them...Lakies,never seen any you woudn't keep an eye on .

ive got a lot of permission and if my terriers were not stock broken then I would have non of it.theres 6 terriers here and they are all spot on with all stock and game birds .they have to be and I make sure they are.they even let let the chickens curl up in there kennels.

• Like 1

I make an effort to stock train all my mutts,i cannot abide the feckless that don,t see it as a major part of their jukels education,saying that ive a sapling Lakey here that ill never trust with stock,the bloody thing works itself into such a frenzy,then loses all discipline and control,she stays on a lead until im 110% sure there will be no little accidents,the farmers prize buff Orpington being chased about his yard was a lesson that my 110% certainty may not be enough at times.Another lesson the dogs have an habit of teaching some of us.

get a bad temper old ewe collar her up and tie the dog to her leave them together for a couple days the dog wont go near them then

Seen that work with terriers but remember a lad doing it with a half cross dog 20+ years ago, all was going well whilst he stood there, with the dog taking a bit of stick and backing well off, so with it being all good, he went in for tea.

An hour later he returned to see a rather 'sheepish' (excuse the pun!) dog and a whole pile of minced mutton all over the barn.. Thankfully (I liked the dog), he came to terms with what it was and what it could do and they all lived happily ever after..!

Once the're " STOCK BROKEN " don't let them run free with Dogs you dont Know are a !00%..

It'll Undo All your Hard work :yes: Once one starts,they''l find it hard NOT to join in....and from then on you will be wary of letting them free to roam out from you .

Some Terriers I believe have just got a streak in them,they can't help themselves, as soon as a bit of freedom is given.if it moves their having it ,depends if you can put up with a dog on the leash most of it's life & is worth the inconvienance :hmm:

• Like 3

Once the're " STOCK BROKEN " don't let them run free with Dogs you dont Know are a !00%..

It'll Undo All your Hard work :yes: Once one starts,they''l find it hard NOT to join in....and from then on you will be wary of letting them free to roam out from you .

Some Terriers I believe have just got a streak in them,they can't help themselves, as soon as a bit of freedom is given.if it moves their having it ,depends if you can put up with a dog on the leash most of it's life & is worth the inconvienance :hmm:

I'd agree with that mate. :yes:

I'd also say that if your unsure or a dogs history never give it the opportunity. Like that bull cross in my previous post, with you around they can be good as gold but with your back turned...!!

I once owned a smart smooth black dog, Mick, of a similar stamp to Nuttall's original Miner. Always been 100% with mutton when I was around, even off a lead, totally ignored 'em and decent enough underground, though he did let himself down twice buy humping fresh air after sniffing near season bitches and wanting to go up one hole rather than down another..!

Anyways, up the Lakes one summers day with a new girlfriend, Kirkby-Lonsdale to be exact and after boring her senseless with my knowledge of Cyril Breay (all out of Plummers Fell terrier book!), we'd got a bit of lunch from the village and as it was a hot day, walked to the park next to Devils Bridge to look at the loons jumping off into the pools of the boulder strewn river Lune (that wasn't supposed to rhyme!).

Lovely spot on the bench, all fenced in too, except for the wide enough river, so I let Mick off to have a sniff around as a fresh wave of nutters went flying.

After being totally engrossed for about 10 mins I thought where's that bloody dog, because he never goes far? So I took off to find him... What I did find was that the park was longer than I first thought, much longer. What i also noticed was that it also contained sheep and the further i got, more and more sheep. Along the river bank I trotted until I came upon a line of Kagool wearing folk, looking a bit angry.

"Anyone seen a little black dog" I asked almost nervous?

"Yes", came a stern reply, "Its down there in the river, killing a sheep"..!!!

I ran as fast as I could, past other orange and yellow clad folk, all seemingly with a face of disgust, muttering about Scouse idiots with loose dogs and poor 'ol sheep.. And then I saw them, out in the river, between boulders, a sheep in full fleece, struggling against both the water and the terrier, standing square on its back, biting down as hard as it could..!!

I ran right in and scruffed the little fecker but the sheep went into more of a panic and tried to head out further and was on its way under, I grabbed a horn and held on but the critter was struggling and also, because of that wet fleece weighed a ton!

I needed two hands for this, so I flung Mick with one hand as far as I could into deep water and started to pull the sheep shallower. It was still some bloody effort and by then a small crowd had gathered on the bank to watch the carnage. Boy was it embarrassing but it was about to get a whole lot worse...!

I was waist deep but making good headway with the sheep and thinking it's all under control but just then Mick arrived back and before I could grab him latched back onto the sheep's shoulder, twisting and pulling as a dog does in water. I scruffed the dog off again but now with only one hand I was about to loose the sheep, which was still trying to go the opposit way. The little fecker was going apeshit for the sheep and I totally panicked and done the only thing I could think of to stop the screaming and wriggling dog... I butted him...!!!!!

Thankfully, I didn't really connect, bit difficult to in that situation! In hindsight, not the best, nor most subtle course of action either, very wrong and in front of a crowd but It did produce the right result, the dog calmed down and I got them both to safety, (not that I was gonna get any applause for this one.!).

The crowd was dispersing as we got to the bank and I checked the sheep over quickly, it was unharmed, that thick wet fleece may have seen it go under the water but saved it from the dogs jaws. Thank feck for that! Mick was ok too but gave me that cock eyed' sideways look as he went back on a lead.

My girlfriend looked both confused and shocked when we returned to the bench soaking wet, she'd been there all the time, with her food and the bridge jumpers to keep her entertained. She thought I'd jumped and she'd missed it..! I told her 'some' of the tale on the way home, i was too embarrassed to tell all.... :icon_redface:

I wonder what Mr Breay would have made if it...! :rolleyes:

sheep aint quarry.... so we dont break anything!! all terrier terrier pups from a young age, now when i say terrier i mean earth dog used soley for vermin control underground... should have already been schooled from a very early age that sheep are part of the landscape and prescide above ground and are to be protected not tortured! once the terrier owner gets this in his mindset not his ego, then instead of the pub he will spend time schooling his pup..... :thumbs: