It's Been A While

Well it's certainly been a while since we got out with the monkeys. I've been nursing my wife for a few weeks with a broken ankle and detatched ligament, I feel like a skivvy but she would do it for me.

I got the lads down for a few hours knowing that the weather wasn't going to be too bad and the missus was tucked up with a good book. We were only going local, a couple of hedgerows that wouldn't scare the gamebirds seeing as the shoots are still running.

It was such a releif to get out, it seems like an eternity since we last had a jaunt, I was ready for the fresh air too. We got to the first hedge the keeper wanted us to do but unfortunately it was a non starter. It really needs flailing out as the brambles had got the better of it so that will have to wait. There were lots of signs that it was rife with rabbits but it'll last for another day.

We shimmied up the next hedge, this was a boundary hedge so I had to watch the dogs, you know what lurchers can be like if they see mr longears.

We started well and even though the rabbits were a bit reluctant to bolt most of the digging was relitively easy mainly soft soil under 3 foot deep so not a problem. The numbers were increasing slowly but all the same we were enjoying every minute and what a nice warm day it was too. We just haven't had all that bad rain they have had down south, thank the lordy for that.

As we moved onto the next field the digging began to take on a different form, the rabbits had bottle enders under a track that was hardcore and compresses crusher run, ouch! well at least we had a couple of young guns with us, so we left them digging while we got on with the fun bit. Lol.....

As the afternoon approached the sky started to take on a different look, this would be the weather front they had predicted and we thought that it would be wise to call it a day and leave a few (breeders) on these fields.

An eary finish but all the same worth the effort and with a steady 33 in the bag the lads went back home happy enough, roll on Saturday for the next outing and also for the game shoots to finish so we can do the good areas.

post-13613-0-65737100-1389280543_thumb.jpg

• Like 3