What Age To Apply For A Rifle

18 is fine. Quick google search threw this up (coincidentally my local force's firearms page)

A person under eighteen is prohibited by Firearms Act (Amendment) Regulations 2010, No 1759 from purchasing or hiring any firearm or ammunition as defined by section 1 of the 1968 Act and a shot gun and ammunition as defined by section 2 of the 1968 Act
Age restrictions apply as follows:

Under 14 years

CAN

• CAN hold a shotgun certificate

CANNOT

• CANNOT hold a firearm certificate
  • CANNOT purchase or hire shotguns or ammunition until 18 years old (Even if the holder of a relevant certificate)
  • CANNOT receive a gift of a shotgun until 15 years old (Even if the holder of a relevant certificate)

Under 15 years old

CAN

• CAN hold a firearm certificate and
  • CAN Receive a gift of a Section 1 firearm from the age of 14 years old (If authorised by the relevant certificate)

CANNOT

• CANNOT Purchase or hire a shotgun or ammunition until 18 years old (Even if the holder of a relevant certificate)
  • CANNOT Purchase or hire a firearm or ammunition until 18 years old (Even if the holder of a relevant certificate)
  • CANNOT Receive a gift of a shotgun until 15 years old (Even if the holder of a relevant certificate)
  • CANNOT Have an assembled shotgun unless supervised by a person over 21 years old (Even if the holder of a relevant certificate
  • CANNOT Have an uncovered / unsecured shotgun until 15 years old (Even if the holder of a relevant certificate)

Â

Under 18 years old

CAN

• CAN hold a firearm certificate
  • CAN Receive a gift of a shotgun from the age of 15 years (If authorised by the relevant certificate)
  • CAN Receive a gift of a firearm from the age of 14 years (If authorised by the relevant certificate)
  • CAN Possess a shotgun if covered and secured from the age of 15 years (If authorised by the relevant certificate)

CANNOT

• CANNOT Purchase or hire a shotgun or ammunition until 18 years old (Even if the holder of a relevant certificate)
  • CANNOT Purchase or hire a firearm or ammunition until 18 years old (Even if the holder of a relevant certificate)

Calibre wise, depends on your land what you're comfortable with. If you're looking to sell the rabbits on you might consider a .22lr or FAC air (not my bag but popular with some). Some forces tend to favour .22.250 or .223 for Fox but this varies across the country from what I can make out.

Worth considering how big your cabinet will be and what justification you will have for the rifles you're applying for - don't automatically sell yourself short as you have five years to fill it up and slots are valuable. Do you know if the land you have a permission on is cleared for centre fire as this may restrict what they'll let you apply for.

Are you a member of a club as well - are you planning to do any target shooting?

Edited by TheRealChuckNorris
  • Like 1

Excellent answer therealchucknorris! Very informative and I'm sure was just what the op was looking for! ;) have a like from me

Thank you sir. Had a few minutes on my hands so hope it helps the OP. Probably a bit too much information but people can always pick and choose what they want to read from it. As it came from the police I'm pretty confident as to the accuracy of the content - nothing worse than people presenting their opinions or thoughts as facts and others being misled as a result.

Excellent answer therealchucknorris! Very informative and I'm sure was just what the op was looking for! ;) have a like from me

Thank you sir. Had a few minutes on my hands so hope it helps the OP. Probably a bit too much information but people can always pick and choose what they want to read from it. As it came from the police I'm pretty confident as to the accuracy of the content - nothing worse than people presenting their opinions or thoughts as facts and others being misled as a result.

Well I learned something new! I knew about the ammo and purchasing of firearms/SG's being 18+, but was honestly led by my FEO that SGC's were 13+ and FAC's were 18+. Maybe it's a rule of thumb? As you described, there are still resrictions from <18, so maybe you need exceptional circumstances to hold an FAC under 18 such as being a keeper from 16? You would certainly need a valid reason as if it was a case of father and son, they would just say to shoot as a supervisor on the Fathers ticket until the son is old enough to shoot unsupervised?

Anyway. To the OP, as I said before, I'm 19 and both an SGC and FAC holder, so you can defo do it. I have no family members who hold either, but I did get a mentor reference as well as my two required references to confirm I know weapon safety and understand backstops etc. I got mine through in about 12 days (but I live in the same village as the HQ, so didnt need to wait for the postage time there).

Good luck on getting it,

Atb, BB

There isn't a legal age limit for sgc and fac is 14 there are obviously age restrictions with regard to buying ammunition and firearms. I'm 17 got my FAC for .17 hmr and .22 when I was 16 and my sgc when I was 14. Age doesn't come into it particularly (within reason) it's more to do with how responsible you are, past experience and also if you have a need for what you're applying for. I've always been mad keen for shooting and didn't have any trouble with either.

Hope this is of some help

Edited by Ratsmasher