Terriers V Spaniels

clipo

Wirral I agree with a lot of what you say on this site, but to state "spaniels have there place, but hunting rough cover isn't one of them" is quite simply ni on the biggest load of cock splat Iv read on here, ever !! It even beat the comment that terriers were more handleable than a spaniel, lol lolLets be honest cover the size of whats being talked about where terriers have the edge, because of there size, is very rarely hunted with much success when bushing, unless there's a pack of them working it, it's simply too big a area for one or two to put enough pressure on the quarry to make it leave.

I'm just back in from whacking a few rats on a local farm thought I'd catch up, Alimac, my terriers are as biddable as any gundog especially at pushing any sort of cover, they do catch more than I like if that's a fault but they spend 7 days a week all year round doing so, I would put my pack up against any other in this country safe in the knowledge that they wouldn't let me down, I hunt up in Scotland on my mates estate who's a headkeeper in Perthshire and then go further north to a mate in Wick before coming back down the west coast to stay in Drumnadrockit, Invernesshire, if your anywhere near these I'll be glad to show you how they do, oh and by the way I ran 1 terrier for 10 years and caught plenty with him so you don't need a pack for successful bushing, WM
You seam to think I'm knocking your dogs? Or how that you say your our bushing & bolting every day of the year :-p I'm not

I just think your sentence I quoted about spaniels is way way off the mark. A single Spaniel or terrier in a couple of acres of solid bramble would be like waiting on a big terrier digging on in a tight spot just because its got the heart to get there.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen a lot of spaniels work, also labs, other gun dogs, a large range of terriers, some hounds and mongrels. . . . .   Whatever you say, you are going to put someones back up, and if I had a po

3/4 spaniel x terrier only 6 1/2 months but so busy finding all the time

Is it just me , but i cant see that you can compare a spaniel to a good terrier for bushing !! I am not knocking spaniels , ive got two . But to put a well trained gun dog in to a large area of gorse

Posted Images

attachicon.gif005.JPG best of both first spaniel x terrier i had was over 30 years ago they suit HOW i like them to work

Is it vocal in cover(on hot scent??) Does it drop in?? Coz in all fairness that is a lovely animal and the type i'd be swayed towards if i were ever to purchase one. :thumbs::yes:

the mother in the first pic has never looked to go to ground make a racket when on game i only do rabbits

i used a cocker over her

this pup hunts like a adult now so got hold her back i thought i mite lose tongue with her but worked her on her own the other day i havent barks loud

very pleased she dont look at holes :thumbs:

My own preferance is small type spaniels especialy if your bushing on unknown ground as badgers are that wide spread now they can appear in the most unlikely of places and thats going on past expspeiriences [BANNED TEXT] bushing with terriers and imo crossing spaniels with terriers you could still get one that goes to ground.

• Like 1

that dog is 14 1/2 would not want any smaller than that and ive seen small lurchers and spaniels go to ground so any bred can drop down its a pain when they do but these lot dont :thumbs:

Edited by wi11ow
  • Like 1

there is no comparison between spaniels and terriers, spaniels are not in the same league. they have great work rate, all weather dogs and great drive but that's it. terriers think and hunt by themselves, they are independent. spaniels are robotic

put a spaniel in a huge bramble bed and it will come out several times just to see where its owner is. terriers will work all the way threw. most spaniels are over giddy, to sensitive and as thick as a brick. yes, they can be trained but that is obedience not intelligence. not hunting intelligence.

i like spaniels but they lack something, i have seen many work, springer and cocker spaniels. some were average, most were poor. none compared with proper bushing terriers...top terriers are in a different league.

• Like 2

Wirral I agree with a lot of what you say on this site, but to state "spaniels have there place, but hunting rough cover isn't one of them" is quite simply ni on the biggest load of cock splat Iv read on here, ever !! It even beat the comment that terriers were more handleable than a spaniel, lol lolLets be honest cover the size of whats being talked about where terriers have the edge, because of there size, is very rarely hunted with much success when bushing, unless there's a pack of them working it, it's simply too big a area for one or two to put enough pressure on the quarry to make it leave.

I'm just back in from whacking a few rats on a local farm thought I'd catch up, Alimac, my terriers are as biddable as any gundog especially at pushing any sort of cover, they do catch more than I like if that's a fault but they spend 7 days a week all year round doing so, I would put my pack up against any other in this country safe in the knowledge that they wouldn't let me down, I hunt up in Scotland on my mates estate who's a headkeeper in Perthshire and then go further north to a mate in Wick before coming back down the west coast to stay in Drumnadrockit, Invernesshire, if your anywhere near these I'll be glad to show you how they do, oh and by the way I ran 1 terrier for 10 years and caught plenty with him so you don't need a pack for successful bushing, WM
You seam to think I'm knocking your dogs? Or how that you say your our bushing & bolting every day of the year :-p I'm not

I just think your sentence I quoted about spaniels is way way off the mark. A single Spaniel or terrier in a couple of acres of solid bramble would be like waiting on a big terrier digging on in a tight spot just because its got the heart to get there.

This is my conclusion ! I have a couple of spaniels , they work quite nicely , the one will quater its ground in front well enough while the other is at heal , i will then change over and let them have a breather . They hit cover well and drop to shot , then retrive what ive shot . Well thats the theory anyway and most of the time they are near enough . But that is rough shooting , not bushing .

What i call bushing is a bit different . A bunch of my mates and i used to get together "pre ban" , with our dogs , a motley crew of spaniel crosses , terriers , lurchers , spaniels , bull crosses and decend on our chosen hunting ground . Well what ensued was neither very well planned or controled ! The terriers could well be a field away , with the lurchers in hot pursuit , ready to nab anything daft enough to leave cover .

But apart from being a bloody good laugh , with plenty of piss taking and banter , it was a very effective method of pest control , and a good few lamp shy foxes met their end with these little hunts . With large areas of heavy cover you need numbers in there to stand a chance . So it dont matter the breed , when they are all in there and the terriers start yipping , and you here the bushes crashing about , and the yipps turn to screams and the chase is on they will all play their part in their own way . Lets not take things so seriously , as long as it gets the job done and you like the dog and enjoy its company , i say thats good enough !!!

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 2

there is no comparison between spaniels and terriers, spaniels are not in the same league. they have great work rate, all weather dogs and great drive but that's it. terriers think and hunt by themselves, they are independent. spaniels are robotic

put a spaniel in a huge bramble bed and it will come out several times just to see where its owner is. terriers will work all the way threw. most spaniels are over giddy, to sensitive and as thick as a brick. yes, they can be trained but that is obedience not intelligence. not hunting intelligence.

i like spaniels but they lack something, i have seen many work, springer and cocker spaniels. some were average, most were poor. none compared with proper bushing terriers...top terriers are in a different league.

I don't even know where to begin with that post . . . . . .

This thread I think, has shown that it is horses for courses.

Both breeds will show each other up in different situations, and are adapted for different tasks, through a life time of selective breeding.

You get a lot of shit in both breeds obviously, but those are not the dogs to judge the breed on.

P.s - Most of what you have written about spaniels is just plain dumb. No offense, but it just highlights a lack of understanding and experience of them.

And before you think i'm breed blind. . . . we have one spaniel here, and three terriers.

• Like 3

Is that a serious post? Crazy :huh:

• Like 1

I think your getting intelligence mixed up with 'gameness/drive.