If Ozzy formula contains Createne, this is a controversial subject in dog feeding.

There is an ongoing debate amongst health experts on the question, "Is creatine safe?" This debate is tied in with the use of steroids and other muscle and size enhancing drugs.

Creatine is different from these other drugs because of its origins; it is a natural amino acid that is built up in the body through normal processes. It is also built up in your dog's body. However, there is little reason to use creatine for your dog. While studies are still inconclusive as to whether or not creatine is safe for your pet, it is best to avoid using this supplement on dogs. It will not benefit them in any great and necessary way, and it is only putting them at risk of potential adverse reactions.

Creatine Overview

Creatine is a type of supplement that is built in the liver. It is a combination of several other types of amino acids, and it's found in both fish and red meat. Because a dog's diet typically consists of either or both of these two food sources, it's not uncommon for a pet to ingest creatine anyway.

Creatine is a supplement that helps your body (and your dog's body) to create a chemical fuel called ATP. ATP assists muscles in working for a longer period of time, which allows body builders, athletes and others to continue to train for longer periods of time. The creatine itself doesn't build any sort of muscle mass; it simply extends the duration of time that one can exercise, allowing for greater exercise and, therefore, greater muscle building potential.

Creatine and Dogs

Dogs are simply not set up to benefit from creatine use. Even if a dog had the potential to extend his exercise capabilities, the idea of weight training of this type with a dog is ridiculous in most cases. A dog will simply continue to run, play and exercise until he is tired anyway. Creatine use may even put him in danger; dogs are notoriously bad at gauging their own exhaustion levels, and have been known to continue to be active until they reach a point of collapse. With creatine, it's even more difficult for your dog to determine when he should stop being active.

Long term studies on the effects of creatine in pets do not yet exist. However, this supplement has been know to cause a number of side effects in humans which may be similar to those in dogs. They include:

• Muscle spasms and cramps
  • Pulled muscles and other injuries
  • Gastrointestinal upset
  • Dehydration

Ultimately, there is very little reason to give your pet creatine. If you provide him with a full diet of the foods that will provide nutrients to him and any additional supplements as recommended by your vet, plus you give him adequate exercise opportunities, he'll be as happy and healthy as possible. Creatine will not aid in this in any real manner.

Read more: Is Creatine Safe for Dogs?

good write up , but surley the amount of creatine in a bag of ozzy in very little , having said that if you go on my profile and look in my gallery my bitch does look like she been on roids :laugh:

Hope you Lads dont mind the Google write up.

I thought for a minute I was Sandymere. :D

Edited by Country Joe

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the way i see it , for the work my dog does for me ive got to give her the best food i can , so £20 isnt an issue , i use ozzy as it has everything in that she needs not just to peform but also to re

its around £2o - 22 a bag but its worth it , i use it before the season starts while getting the dog fit ,and then till the end of the season and out of season i just buy cheap £6 a bag buiscuits , g

Doctor john I think is the best nut for working dogs €22 a bag don't loose there condition when in full time work

the way i see it , for the work my dog does for me ive got to give her the best food i can , so £20 isnt an issue , i use ozzy as it has everything in that she needs not just to peform but also to re hydrate her afterwards, she loves it and looks well on it , she has plenty stamina when out , so if its doing the job then why not , good food , good housing . for what your dog gives you you gotta give them summit back :thumbs:

• Like 2

I’d agree there’s likely little creatine in feeds and that’s probably a good thing for lurchers. Perhaps racing greyhounds would arguably get some benefit as they undertake a single run. I know vitamins such as Vit C are known to slow race times due to weight gain they cause and perhaps in delaying recovery so it would be a swings and round about’s thing. The increased power would be working against the increased body weight.

From Health in a Bottle by me.

As well as the health benefits of supplementation being unproven, even potentially harmful, there are other effects like weight gain to be considered. Creatine, along with some vitamins, is linked to weight gain in the form of water retention; in one recent article it was stated at around 7%. As a young runner I spent many an evening on the track doing 100 to 400mts sprint repeats and I know a 7% weight gain, for me around 11lb, would have a very definite negative effect after a couple of runs. Imagine the same effect on a dog during a night’s lamping; they may have over twenty, thirty etc ‘sprint repeats’ to get through. Creatine may give increased power over the first couple of runs but from then on it’s all down hill. For 100mt sprinters and body builders there may be a place for this product but for a multi sprint lurcher then the downside must outweigh the up.

I can google some stuff to back my thoughts experience up if you like lol.

My bitch is better on RedMills than Gain, lost fur on back legs and was flaky on Gain. Packs on muscle and condition and has a great coat on RedMills!! Each dogs different you gotta trial a few different feeds and see which one works best for your dog.