Rickets

Isn't rickets a lack of nutrients like calcium and vitamin d? In which case I don't think a couple of days of cod liver oil will do. But a good balanced diet and a decent amount of chicken carcusses sorted a mates bull cross out after a while and that pup was in a right state. (I can't speak from my own experience though)

• Like 2

Rickets is mainly caused by one of two things, poor diet the dog not getting what it needs

or a diet to high in protein were as the bone is growing quicker than the tendons are

in the first case of poor diet, its easily solved by feeding a better quality diet

in the second case feed a lower protein.

You dont need to feed things like calcium tabs etc, a couple of chicken wings or rib bones a day will do the exact same job, vid d can be gained natually by the pup spending time outside for half an hour or so.

Cod liver oil has vit d in it, so probably why it worked.

• Like 2

Hi all im after some info on ricket as my bros pup has a bow in its front leg thanks dc

Is he sure its rickets and not knuckling over? Being a pup and due to the development this could occur rather than it being rickets. A dogs weight is on the front legs while the rear propel the motion. Hard surfaces can also cause knuckling over in a pups development. Also the diet is most important but you cant be 100% if its rickets or knuckling over JMO and at an early stage it can be corrected ATB

Here is text book discription of Rickets "Rickets is a softening of bones in immature mammals due to deficiency or impaired metabolism of vitamin D,[1] phosphorus or calcium,[2] potentially leading to fractures and deformity. Rickets is among the most frequent childhood diseases in many developing countries. The predominant cause is avitamin D deficiency, but lack of adequate calcium in the diet may also lead to rickets (cases of severe diarrhea and vomiting may be the cause of the deficiency). Although it can occur in adults, the majority of cases occur in children suffering from severe malnutrition, usually resulting from famine or starvation during the early stages of childhood."

this is in people, but will be the same..." usually resulting from famine or starvation during the early stages of childhood."

people who are raising these pups and this condition occurring really should have a good look at themselves and never ever breed another litter of pups!

It really should not happen and if people can't afford to feed the bitch and the pups they should not be breeding to sell pups and make money/

Like brazer says, make sure its rickets. Too many people see pups front legs bowing in or out and assume its rickets. Alot of the time its a case of the bones growing too quick for ligaments and causes the ligaments to literally bend the bones like the string of a bow pulling tight . A good indication of this is the knuckling over brazer mentioned( the toes and feet being pulled in tight under the knuckles) is the best way I can describe it. If you think you are treating rickets you are going to increase the calcium intake and vitiman d which in turn will worsen the problem if its a case of bones growing too fast for ligaments. Ask your brother if he thinks he might be over suplimenting the pup .ie good quality food plus extra supliments of any kind. What breed or type and age is the pup ?Hope this helps. A.t.b Bren.. lol just read back over thread and realized chook had pretty much said what I said already..

• Like 1