Working Water

forest

I used to work mine (1/4 bull wippet 3/4 jrt) round lakes quite a bit, I tried to keep clear once the bird breeding season really kicked in- the dog picked up moorhens etc by accident. Dealt with mink no problem.

But it was ace fun, the dog would learn to follow the bubbles on her hind legs and grab them as they surfaced. Just take the shotgun as back up and you're well away.

Edited by Tozer

Summer is the ideal time to work the waterway,apart from the cover,mink being the chosen tally-ho,at this time of year these same summer locations are the haunt of plenty to interest an inquisitive jukel,or owner.

you lads that work the river banks don't suppose it will be long before you run into the odd otter as well as mink? as a keen carp and pike fisherman we keep hearing reports of them.

I've never worked where there any, I'd think an otter would get away swiftly. I had one run past me on an estuary in Wexford, it did an amazing disapeaering act in a chamnel you would have though would cover it's back. But it isn't something I'd want my dog catching up with.

Don't the block the holts when they are hunting mink with hounds?