Terrier Size

Mine was a tad over 14 inches 20 years ago and managed fine he even got to some in a rabbit warren even if you had to dig on a foot or two.

But as donny says they can't get where it is just physically impossible

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been done to death this one..same old answers as well..Favourite one being if it wants to it will ..Right... It Wont get up to a fox in a tight chalk place or a tight rock place or a small drain or a

Wanting to get there helps but wanting isn't enough a lot of the time. Only a idiot would put up with waiting say 2 hrs before there big dog get up close. A useable fox dog should be easily spannable.

a foxhound lol

Seen a couple of good holding spots being ruined with having to help the dog on then on again, looking at a spot yesterday thAts usually good to us, put a small bitch in had to dig couple of holes helping her through the tight tubes ended up lifting her and putting I'm my bitch who was bigger 10 mins later she had dug up a few feet and got to the fox she' had a little bit more determination than the other bitch, mind you if the digging wasn't so easy I doubt she would have got there tbh it was very tight

Most posts are spot on and i agree, if the hole is small and the dog is big then it aint gonna happen no matter how much he wants it to. Have often dug to dead foxes where the squeeze up so tight they sufficate themselves. Usually when they run into rabbit holes to escape the hounds. Im saying it for years that for an animal thats bigger than alot of terriers you would wonder how they get into such tight places, for me personally the smaller the better for round here anyway.

Ive been looking through your posts Harrison mate, you are asking about the size of a terrier to fit?

But yet you slate hard terriers??????????????

I would of thought there are a few pointers about the size of a dog tahts easy to work out, but yet you know all about Hard Terriers..

Peoples hands are different sizes, Holes are different sizes. Some dogs might bottle up and be so long away from it. Or a dog that can fit anywhere and be inches off the quarry.

Harrison

Ive been looking through your posts Harrison mate, you are asking about the size of a terrier to fit?

But yet you slate hard terriers??????????????

I would of thought there are a few pointers about the size of a dog tahts easy to work out, but yet you know all about Hard Terriers..

Peoples hands are different sizes, Holes are different sizes. Some dogs might bottle up and be so long away from it. Or a dog that can fit anywhere and be inches off the quarry.

Harrison

RIPSTOP I know my terriers my earth's my mates are team!!!!!!! It is my mates terrier that the post is about not mine read it so no I don't like hard dogs but my mate does that's why between us we have a dog for every job so don't open your mouth calling me a lier if you don't know me :censored:

My mate has just bought a choc bull x patterdale Its about 13 month old and 15 inch to shoulder but not spanable by an inch or so what's the chance of it fitting in raynards house do you think its to big what's the biggest terrier you guys have seen go to ground cheers atb JH

Big dog for a big job in other words a 1 trick pony

I have a lup of a black dog hear in my yard and he not big in hight but in chest and neck with a hous brick for a head nd he will worke as tight as he can to his quarry only once I have had to lift him for a smaller little black bitch and foxy was only round the corner so not too botherd on size of dog

As was once told its not allways the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. If the dog has enough fire in his belly then you are halfway therem

Keep hunting

I have a lup of a black dog hear in my yard and he not big in hight but in chest and neck with a hous brick for a head nd he will worke as tight as he can to his quarry only once I have had to lift him for a smaller little black bitch and foxy was only round the corner so not too botherd on size of dogAs was once told its not allways the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. If the dog has enough fire in his belly then you are halfway theremKeep hunting

If a big dog has fire in its belly you "or the big dog" will be half way there...

My point exactly ;-)

• Like 1

I've been on many rescue digs and most were to large dogs stuck like a cork, the danger is if they are close to their quarry in a stop end or collapse is that they use all the air between them up very quickly, nothing worse than digging to a suffocated dead dog when a smaller dog would of flown round, so think on you lads that think size doesn't matter, WM

• Like 3

I've been on many rescue digs and most were to large dogs stuck like a cork, the danger is if they are close to their quarry in a stop end or collapse is that they use all the air between them up very quickly, nothing worse than digging to a suffocated dead dog when a smaller dog would of flown round, so think on you lads that think size doesn't matter, WM

i wasnt going to reply to this topic anymore but after reading your post wirral i had to say that that sums up this thread in a nut shell and should be enough of an answer to anyone who thinks because the dog is game as mustard he can squeeze anywhere...... the red dog in my profile pic was 9 years old, been a trooper for me all his days and gave me some memorable days, he was about 12" pretty spannable with average size pair of hands, went almost all places, sometimes not with ease... but last winter i dug to him for the last time, both him and and his game had closed there eyes, both suffocated after he done exactly what wirral explains above. no marks as he was about two feet back from his opponant and cold squeeze no more..... may i add the game at the end of the hole made this dog look very small when the two of them were out side by side.........

big dog for big earths small dog for small ones, very hard for either to work in the others area of expertise imho.

• Like 3