Ferreting With West Highland Terriors

Hi lads

if you have seen my other post you will know i am new to all this. This is a quick and simple question.

i have two westies about 4years and 3years. I know they would both mark well for me for the rabbit warrens but they have both turned nuts since i got my ferrets. I know they arent the usual working terrior but the bloke i got the eldest one from used to work his mum n dad for certain things bigger than rabbits. Has anybody used westies before? Also does a dog need to be introduced to ferrets as a pup or is it possible to teach an older dog not to savage a ferret because im pretty sure thats what one of them would do. I would love to be able to take them with me but they dont seem to see any sense once they smell the ferrets they go into real terrior mode.

Keep the ferrets hutch at a,level the dogs can see them, smell them etc. Obviously make sure you have a secure hutch for them. Also let the dogs see you feed, clean, handle the ferrets. Make this part of your day to day routine, and hopefully the dogs will eventually come to see the ferrets as part of the pack.

Keep thr dogs on a lead and let the stinkers run around, if the ferrets are fine with dogs too. As the little buggers can nip at times. Two way street I think with an older unbroken dog.

The thing is both the dogs are that hysterical just on the smell of the ferrets i havent even taken them in the shed yet where i keep em. Didnt want the dogs yapin n whigning freaking the ferrets out. Just about to go see to ferrets now so will take them in with me n see what happens!

Well that didnt go to plan. The eldest one was fine. Not interested in em at all. The youngest one started barking so i booted him out. Then i shut the shed with me in it and let the ferrets out for a run about and im guessin the dogs had got the jills back up because she was totally different to normal in her body language. She ended up biting my feet and swingin off my trouser leg! Having not been bit by one yet obviously i was sh**ing myself and i think i probably looked like our lass when she finds a spider. I know i am going to get bitten sooner or later but i am NOT looking forward to it!!! I quickly filled their food bowl and water bottles put them back and got out.

all in all a very unsuccesfull dog introduction / handling time.

Edited by ryaldinhio

Keep the ferrets hutch at a,level the dogs can see them, smell them etc. Obviously make sure you have a secure hutch for them. Also let the dogs see you feed, clean, handle the ferrets. Make this part of your day to day routine, and hopefully the dogs will eventually come to see the ferrets as part of the pack.

Keep thr dogs on a lead and let the stinkers run around, if the ferrets are fine with dogs too. As the little buggers can nip at times. Two way street I think with an older unbroken dog.

That's my set up so to speak ATM and out westie still tries to kill them and its never been ratting either, will pick up mice in the field tho,nso summary, didn't work for me

Going to be a long term trial then. Try making sure everyone is fed well before introductions. Or even screening of an area so u can let the dogs see you work with the stinkers.

Not nice being bitten I know, but try not to jump and react to much. Tall order, and I say from experience, taming a nasty jill down.

One more thing to try, let the ferrets climb all overyou, handle them etc and let the dogs get used to the scent on yourself.

Interested in seeing if they will work really, as my jrt was a handy wee dog at the buries, so always like to see terriers at it. Although you will know yourself it may not work out eventually. Keep trying little and often.

Assuming your dogs understand the command NO, then breaking them is achievable, albeit a little time consuming, however I wouldnt be considering trying both dogs together.concentrating on the percieved problem one first, minute or two at a time, assuming these wee scottish beasties have some level of basic obedience, if not that would be the first order of the day.A lot of work and time goes into a ferreting dog there's NO QUICK FIX.As far as the ferret bite, the anticipation is worse than the event, like bee stings an falling off horses, oncd its happened you realise it aint that bad! You may find a distraction for both animals should also be employed I think. Course I may just be talking rubbish.

I would agree with the above post.

Basic obediance first and let the dogs see you around the ferrets. I have a terrier I am still working on around the ferrets and a year on into I but still wouldn't look away.

May be trying working with the older one first letting him see you handle them, cleaning them out, taking them in and out of boxes and running about and a cage or run so they can meet with safety and if possible feed them together (be very very close and ready to put you hand between, if you do get bite don't squeel the dog will react). Only do a few mins a day and not to over do it. I then went on to the odd tube/pipe and letting the dog see the ferret pop out the hole and re entre and walk along the floor, again relying on site and stay etc.

Then more pipes etc.

Or even take just the older one up the mark up and lead it up away from holes and let him see what happens, be prepared for smaller bags as you or the dog may be a little noiser when you have both learn what the other will be doing.

Take your time and good luck.

Both dogs have good levels of obedience but the younger one just switches with his prey drive. Its not that he doesnt understand no its like he is so transfixed on getting to what he is after it doesnt even register. Thing is he is such a quiet shy dog until there is summat he wants to chase or dig for then theres no talking to him!!!

he has always been the same. He once took a wren out of the air, mid flight. I think he wouldve been a brilliant terrior for ratting or for putting to earth but they are r lasses babies so sniffing out rabbits is about as close to their vocations as they will ever get. Poor lads.

the older one wasnt bothered about the ferrets so i reckon i could get him working with them but i dont think he would be as good at marking the warrens!

Time will tell for both.

Just a quick update lads i havent tried mixing the dogs and ferrets again yet but i have had the two dogs out mooching where i know there is a few warrens and i think the youngest one is marking brilliantly. Doesnt bother with some holes quick sniff n walks on then will come to some and he is near on breaking his neck to get down them! Its first time i have tried using a dog for what it does naturally and its a great feeling seeing an animal of yours working and absolutely living doing it.