Morality Of Hunting

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is hunting morally acceptable? Well acres of habitat are protected by hunting-generated funds, lots of game species have experienced population increases due to modern game management, the economy is

Good thread Oldham Lad It boils down to intent I think, if your in a situation were your hunting for survival, no one not even antis, apart from the very hardcore would question it. But in the world

Imo hunting is a lot more ethical than the meat industry even more so when you consider all this halal shite in the supermarkets.   Even if youre a vegetarian you have to accept there has been a lot

Thing is as Humans we are top of the tree and we hunt to eat , i see farming and raising cattle, sheep etc as hunting we pick the best of the bunch at the butchers and eat it and as long as i show my quarry respect will hunting it and after death i dont have a problem

karlos- I really like your point about viewing game animals as resources, so true And yes as for the necessity rather than sport idea I completely agree,

Paulus- I absolutely love that statement, Does that mean because im not starving and have access to a local supermarket for my meat I should therefore consider morality and not hunt for meat?

Danw- not quite sure that makes sense to me can you ellaborate on that please.

How do you all accept the concept of killing for food, sometimes when I think really into it, it weirds me out a bit thinking about how what ive just killed is no longer there and had I not killed it, it would be going about its daily business.

cheers for replies keep them coming, your helping someone who is questioning the morals of eating meat and hunting for that meat .

no because between natural instinct and morality comes desire, the desire to hunt/kill is a primeval urge that morality tries to suppress

these quotes sum it up for me.

Morality is simply the attitude we adopt toward people whom we personally dislike.

Oscar Wild

Morality is the herd instinct in the individual.

Friedrich nietzsche

Would never of thought of you as a Nietzsche man :laugh:

• Like 1

karlos- I really like your point about viewing game animals as resources, so true And yes as for the necessity rather than sport idea I completely agree,

Paulus- I absolutely love that statement, Does that mean because im not starving and have access to a local supermarket for my meat I should therefore consider morality and not hunt for meat?

How do you all accept the concept of killing for food, sometimes when I think really into it, it weirds me out a bit thinking about how what ive just killed is no longer there and had I not killed it, it would be going about its daily business.

cheers for replies keep them coming, your helping someone who is questioning the morals of eating meat and hunting for that meat .

quite simple really to question what is morally right one must first question/challenge morality as a concept

cheers for some cracking replies here guys!

sums up what ive always believed, respect your quarry use it all and look at the bigger picture with regards to farmed animals etc.

Consider this thread solved and closed ! looks like meats back on the menu !!!!!

sums up what ive always believed, respect your quarry use it all and look at the bigger picture with regards to farmed animals etc.

Consider this thread solved and closed ! looks like meats back on the menu !!!!!

plants have feelings too :D

plants have feelings too :D

But they're no where near as tasty! ;)

• Like 1

Interesting thread, Its something thats always in my mind when hunting. The first time I ever went to shoot a rabbit (8 years old) and saw it in the middle of the crosshair, them couple of seconds felt like forever and I was caught between 2 minds whether to pull the trigger or not...and when I eventually did squeeze the trigger the pellet jammed midway in the barrell!

I dont really know why I felt the need to tell that story, I've just always carried that memory with me so vividly...the view through my sights of the fat rabbit hopping away. I somehow learned from the experience.

I hold a respect with all living beings and echo the thoughts of megahunter regarding the hunting of what I eat and being thankful and truly grateful for the food/energy.

The original post has been answered, but one remains unanswered...

If hunting is embedded in the DNA, and part of who we are... why are there people against it?

surely they share the same DNA? :hmm:

I also think and strongly believe that by and through hunting, a balance in the wildlife of this country is maintained, that is a moral responsibility for everyone to understand and respect, not just people who live in rural environments. This is accepted however grudgingly by society as for example deer culls continue. The 'antis' have lived outside of any environment where maintaining the balance of wildlife has been a ongoing task. (Also, I believe that antis are folk who will fight anything that comes along, be it a new road or a bankers bonus. Banning/morality of hunting is just another little piece of anarchy for them to fit into, they dont care about the outcome or the content, just the fact they can piss people off).

In towns and cities, poeple apply 'human feelings' to creatures such as rats, foxes and rabbits. This creates in them a resentment of hunting as cruel and blood thirsty, the pressure groups such as the LAC gain support from these folk and the RSPCA gain donations and thats that. When in fact, for example, running dogs at these creatures also maintains the balance in the wildlife as the weakest tend to get caught first thus ensuring stronger bloodlines in the hunted creatures.

I live outside London, have lived in London and work/worked in London and there are a great many kids in London who only ever see the countryside before they are in their late teens through school trips to 'sanitised farms' i.e. non working farms where sheep, goats, rabbits are penned so the kids can see what working farm has.

These kids form opinions that go to suppport the antis beliefs. Imagine if when the kids were bought out of London they were shown how to skin a rabbit, or had just one documentary about game conservation, hunting and its role in rural upkeep shown them. then maybe the DNA such as is would balance again.

Towns and cities are huge now and not one person needs to consider where the food comes from.

I think i am crossing loads of subjects here so apologies for whaffling but basically, the majority has lost the ability to understand the minority on the matter.

If hunting is embedded in the DNA, and part of who we are... why are there people against it?

Evolution :thumbs:

They have evolved to die by starvation or become our slaves :laugh:

I also think and strongly believe that by and through hunting, a balance in the wildlife of this country is maintained, that is a moral responsibility for everyone to understand and respect, not just people who live in rural environments. This is accepted however grudgingly by society as for example deer culls continue. The 'antis' have lived outside of any environment where maintaining the balance of wildlife has been a ongoing task. (Also, I believe that antis are folk who will fight anything that comes along, be it a new road or a bankers bonus. Banning/morality of hunting is just another little piece of anarchy for them to fit into, they dont care about the outcome or the content, just the fact they can piss people off).

In towns and cities, poeple apply 'human feelings' to creatures such as rats, foxes and rabbits. This creates in them a resentment of hunting as cruel and blood thirsty, the pressure groups such as the LAC gain support from these folk and the RSPCA gain donations and thats that. When in fact, for example, running dogs at these creatures also maintains the balance in the wildlife as the weakest tend to get caught first thus ensuring stronger bloodlines in the hunted creatures.

I live outside London, have lived in London and work/worked in London and there are a great many kids in London who only ever see the countryside before they are in their late teens through school trips to 'sanitised farms' i.e. non working farms where sheep, goats, rabbits are penned so the kids can see what working farm has.

These kids form opinions that go to suppport the antis beliefs. Imagine if when the kids were bought out of London they were shown how to skin a rabbit, or had just one documentary about game conservation, hunting and its role in rural upkeep shown them. then maybe the DNA such as is would balance again.

Towns and cities are huge now and not one person needs to consider where the food comes from.

I think i am crossing loads of subjects here so apologies for whaffling but basically, the majority has lost the ability to understand the minority on the matter.

Ok, dont disagree with anything you've said, but thats down to education, not DNA... Surely their animal predatory should kick in??

Matty

Ok, dont disagree with anything you've said, but thats down to education, not DNA... Surely their animal predatory should kick in??

Matty

given the correct setting it would, morals and beliefs become low on the list when the everyday luxuries are stripped away and food becomes life or death and not a choice,

quite simple really to question what is morally right one must first question/challenge morality as a concept

Very deep Dan...or should I call you grasshopper? :D