Án Táin Working Airedales - New Recruit

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These pups are so important to re-establishing the Airedale as the true "HUNT TERRIER" to compliment hound packs, working alongisde lurchers and terriers or work solely as a unique pack within Ireland

A new 1 year old bitch from American working lineage has joined the pack. Deep chested, strong feet, large powerful jaws but more importantly able to range out through the larger plantations and bogs

Black Phillip, giving out bad information such as that is one of the reasons so many people take on a breed, realise it's totally unsuited for them and ends up on the merry-go-round of dogs for sale.

I admire your determination to working and improving the breed and eventually (hopefully) getting dogs that will live up to those expectations which you find all over the net.

However I do wonder, and this is a genuine question not bashing your dogs or effort, where does the Airedale fit in nowadays as a hunting dog with breeds/types like the Drahthaar or the Heideterrier?

I'm not an expert by any means however I am interested in this breed and it seems to me they must still have a place in the field and be quite usefull as they are being used in America Europe and Australia on all manor of game if they were just a kennel club creation and were no good for hunting I doubt they would have made it to these country's let alone still be there and being used in the manor they are

they were purely a kennel club creation never meant for work,the only proper big allrounder in the terrier world is the wheaten

they were purely a kennel club creation never meant for work,the only proper big allrounder in the terrier world is the wheaten

wheatons were used for thing imo and i dont think you could get a better dog for the job.But from whatever experience iv had with wheatons i would certainly not thrust them to run cover cause they will tackle any livestock in sight

• Like 1

We have to be careful though, we are falling into the trap here of talking only about digging. Look at the different types of prey we have, hunting styles be it working cover, hound work over bogs, ratting, ferreting, tracking wounded deer and for those in England even wild boar.

This breed was exhausted during the second world war as enlisted war canines to the extent that must of our current hunting bloodlines comes from American and European lineage, I can vouch for that as I have both Canadian and American bred bitches.

But I have a huge problem which I am hoping someone can help me with. I need a male to cover a bitch, it can't be any male, it has to be a solid dog that is either working or from working lines. Can anyone help?

Black Phillip, giving out bad information such as that is one of the reasons so many people take on a breed, realise it's totally unsuited for them and ends up on the merry-go-round of dogs for sale.

A good, properly bred wheaten is not suited for running loose around the countryside.

• Like 7

Do they use them for man work/Schutzhund and are/will the tail's be docked?

I still think a good suited Lurcher would work similar terrain, as good if not better. Saying that I would give a good one a try, I like them a lot.

At the moment I am using a Mali in my pack to good effect. If a decent Airdale would of been available when I was looking for a new dog, I would of certainly taken a look.

Good luck, I will be watching with interest.

youve seen one or two did u ever own a good one probably not well i have and they were stock broken and pure game

So in your experience with ,as you call them, Pure Game Wheatens could you hunt a few of them together loose through covert where they would find and hunt quarry? Then could you hunt the same wheatens through, say, a field of sheep no problem ?

Also with your wheatens could you hunt them in say, a bit of strange country where there'd be the risk of earths ?

Also if as you say, the wheaten is the best of the large all round terriers can you shoot over them ?

• Like 1