Án Táin Working Airedales - New Recruit

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These pups are so important to re-establishing the Airedale as the true "HUNT TERRIER" to compliment hound packs, working alongisde lurchers and terriers or work solely as a unique pack within Ireland

A new 1 year old bitch from American working lineage has joined the pack. Deep chested, strong feet, large powerful jaws but more importantly able to range out through the larger plantations and bogs

Black Phillip, giving out bad information such as that is one of the reasons so many people take on a breed, realise it's totally unsuited for them and ends up on the merry-go-round of dogs for sale.

They work silently but when on the arse of something or pushing something through the cover they will give tongue. The good dogs will give tongue beating cover and are completely silent when digging.

Some people think that because they don't give tongue it would make life hell for lads holding lurchers round the cover because they won't know where dogs are at a certain time. These dogs are for working thick plantations and hard bogs, even better if working with hounds..........hounds being a bit slower and more methodical while Airedales work faster and push through all cover spanning out.

The Airedale is basically a hound terrier cross standing higher than 22 inches. Like a hound with recall.

Many think they arent used because the KC ruined them, this is not true. Near every single Airedale was used during the 2nd world war because they hard dogs. They near went extinct. Trying to find one, especially from working stock is like finding gold!

• Like 1

I have no interest in money Cooney.

OK Hound, just that to me it looks like you already have your sales pitch in order.

But, like I said, time will tell.

A few things confuse me though.

You say they're rare. When I used to write to Henry a good bit I was of the impression that there were plenty of working Airedales in the states.

You say they'll be the best HUNT terrier. What's wrong with the types used nowadays ?

Also, are you trying to tell us you dig to them ??

I'd also find it hard to believe they're better in covert than a foxhound , but that's just my own opinion.

Good luck with your new scheme.

• Like 1

OK Hound, just that to me it looks like you already have your sales pitch in order.

You say they're rare. When I used to write to Henry a good bit I was of the impression that there were plenty of working Airedales in the states.

You say they'll be the best HUNT terrier. What's wrong with the types used nowadays ?

I'd also find it hard to believe they're better in covert than a foxhound , but that's just my own opinion.

When you say plenty,they are still very few compared to coon dogs or curs when hunting in the States, or the running hounds they use over large tracts of land: mind you, it's all large land over there :laugh:

Now, I've only experience of the one Airedale, plus her lurcher daughters, but I have never seen better use of nose than in these dogs. They seem to combine the best qualities of a scent hound with great intelligence, a thinking ability which I've not seen in your average foxhound: I used to follow hounds from an early age, haven't done so for years now, but the thing that struck me most was that the foxhound concentrates on ground scent, whereas my Airedale combines air and ground scent in a steady and thoughtful, but very driven manner which leaves most types standing. I've seen the Airedale wipe the eyes of good gun dogs when finding runners under brambles and in thick cover, and she can wind larger game from a great distance, then pursue that scent until the ground scent overrides the air scent: a pretty accurate locator. Plus she's doing it alone, without the benefit of a large pack all bent on the same mission to find a fox.

For sure there are dogs bred for specific tasks, which, if properly trained and entered, may beat the Airedale, but I've seen nothing yet to persuade me to entertain other types or breeds. Maybe the Airedale just suits me and my needs best, and maybe she's an excellent example of the versatility of the Airedale: from retrieving rabbits and feather, to flushing larger game and dealing with it in the right way.

I wish I was a few decades younger, and had 'discovered' the working Airedale a long time ago, and had the stamina and energy and time to undertake a similar programme to that which Foxhound is planning. It is easy to knock someone who is on such a mission. I'm backing him all the way, for I believe these to be truly superb hunting dogs: the only thing they can't do is catch fast game in the open on their own, but they were never designed to be running dogs as such.

• Like 3

the only thing they can't do is catch fast game in the open on their own, but they were never designed to be running dogs as such.

I cant see them being much use as an earthdog either

the only thing they can't do is catch fast game in the open on their own, but they were never designed to be running dogs as such.

Doh! :laugh::laugh:

• Like 4

he never said he used them for digging mate an earthdog is a terrier that enters a earth and locates and works its quarry till dug out.......think what he means when he said about them been silent when out digging was that when the terrier is removed /quarry bolts to net and the Airedale shown its quarry it deals with it quickly and silently not barking at it with its tail between its legs

Hi Pitdawg913, I am currently using my dogs to beat large mountinous cover e.g. heather bramble, gorse and plantings for foxes. Now I know that foxes compared to what you guys hunt in the U.S. seems pretty mundane but I do use my youngest bitch for tracking wounded deer that I cannot locate. It would be the only time I work her using a long line and she knows her 3 deer species here, fallow, red and sika although I once watched her begin tracking a patch I am convinced was muntjac scent on the tips of small plants.

Skycat, thank you once again, especially for understanding that should anyone ever want to work Airedales in the next decade, they won't be confined to the history books because scattered round the globe are those dedicated in re-establishing and contuing the breed.

If anyone wants to know "why an Airedale?"..........I need a strong intelligent hunt terrier to push hard through this cover at home in the mountains.......

69649_10152398466685487_2041465588_n.jpg

• Like 1

When you say plenty,they are still very few compared to coon dogs or curs when hunting in the States, or the running hounds they use over large tracts of land: mind you, it's all large land over there :laugh:

Now, I've only experience of the one Airedale, plus her lurcher daughters, but I have never seen better use of nose than in these dogs. They seem to combine the best qualities of a scent hound with great intelligence, a thinking ability which I've not seen in your average foxhound: I used to follow hounds from an early age, haven't done so for years now, but the thing that struck me most was that the foxhound concentrates on ground scent, whereas my Airedale combines air and ground scent in a steady and thoughtful, but very driven manner which leaves most types standing. I've seen the Airedale wipe the eyes of good gun dogs when finding runners under brambles and in thick cover, and she can wind larger game from a great distance, then pursue that scent until the ground scent overrides the air scent: a pretty accurate locator. Plus she's doing it alone, without the benefit of a large pack all bent on the same mission to find a fox.

For sure there are dogs bred for specific tasks, which, if properly trained and entered, may beat the Airedale, but I've seen nothing yet to persuade me to entertain other types or breeds. Maybe the Airedale just suits me and my needs best, and maybe she's an excellent example of the versatility of the Airedale: from retrieving rabbits and feather, to flushing larger game and dealing with it in the right way.

I wish I was a few decades younger, and had 'discovered' the working Airedale a long time ago, and had the stamina and energy and time to undertake a similar programme to that which Foxhound is planning. It is easy to knock someone who is on such a mission. I'm backing him all the way, for I believe these to be truly superb hunting dogs: the only thing they can't do is catch fast game in the open on their own, but they were never designed to be running dogs as such.

Good post Skycat.

I've had plenty of American hunters send me photos and stories of their Airedales and their hunts on lion, bear and bobcats etc. so I do know something about the drive and ability of the breed.

I also know that it's not a new breed as, if I remember correctly, Mr Johnsons dogs went back to his grandfathers dogs so I'd imagine we're going back to frontier days.

But, and I hope I'm wrong, it would be a shame for a new to this side of the world breed to fall into the hands of the dreamers and money men.

IMO a breed will always be safer in the hands of a few good dogmen or women than in the hands of several fools.

JMHO and like I say, time will tell.

• Like 2