Án Táin Working Airedales - New Recruit

Who in the right mind would have a pack of full wheatons running cover pushing quarry to the lurchers.?? From what vid herd and read I wouldn't have ONE running loose through cover pushing quarry to a lurcher......I no someone will pop up and say I have a full Wheaton working cover and it's fine blah blah but that will be a minority not the majority......a lurcher and a pack of wheatons taking hold and ragging on a fox is a time bomb waiting to happen

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These pups are so important to re-establishing the Airedale as the true "HUNT TERRIER" to compliment hound packs, working alongisde lurchers and terriers or work solely as a unique pack within Ireland

A new 1 year old bitch from American working lineage has joined the pack. Deep chested, strong feet, large powerful jaws but more importantly able to range out through the larger plantations and bogs

Black Phillip, giving out bad information such as that is one of the reasons so many people take on a breed, realise it's totally unsuited for them and ends up on the merry-go-round of dogs for sale.

youve seen one or two did u ever own a good one probably not well i have and they were stock broken and pure game

I personally have never owned a wheaten,but i have seen them at work umpteen times over the years and i would also say i have seen some of the gamest.There then comes the old question as what you call game as the wheatens i seen and i seen a lot of them could not be tied within 20yds of another terrier let alone run lose hunting after working,not saying yours are not game or stock broken just what i have seen of them.

• Like 1

youve seen one or two did u ever own a good one probably not well i have and they were stock broken and pure game

I was been slightly sarcastic when I said one or two,I have been mixed up in game dogs all my life and have giving my opinions on numerous threads on THL about them,so I think I know a small bit about game Wheatens.I have always had a very open mind about learning from the experiences of others.Why in your opinion(and by your own admission) do your dogs deserve to be called PURE GAME.In the times we live in now the words pure game gets thrown around like snuff at a wake.I have never heard a good dog man call his own dogs pure game(they were far to modest)that honor was left to other to bestow upon his dogs and it was not giving lightly.

• Like 6

@liamdelaney

Perhaps things are done differently elsewhere but I agree liamdelaney. If a dog was good, everyone knew that so it was not necessary for the genuinely good man to refer to his own good dogs as good. The dog man's reputation proceeded him and it was/is the same for his dog. Sure if a dog was good, any good dog man did not have to be told this to see the good of the dog. "Self praise is no praise" as the old saying goes!

Edited by westwicklow
  • Like 2

We have to be careful though, we are falling into the trap here of talking only about digging. Look at the different types of prey we have, hunting styles be it working cover, hound work over bogs, ratting, ferreting, tracking wounded deer and for those in England even wild boar.

This breed was exhausted during the second world war as enlisted war canines to the extent that must of our current hunting bloodlines comes from American and European lineage, I can vouch for that as I have both Canadian and American bred bitches.

But I have a huge problem which I am hoping someone can help me with. I need a male to cover a bitch, it can't be any male, it has to be a solid dog that is either working or from working lines. Can anyone help?

if your bitches are canadian an american what the score about putting one these an tain yokes over one

We have to be careful though, we are falling into the trap here of talking only about digging. Look at the different types of prey we have, hunting styles be it working cover, hound work over bogs, ratting, ferreting, tracking wounded deer and for those in England even wild boar.

This breed was exhausted during the second world war as enlisted war canines to the extent that must of our current hunting bloodlines comes from American and European lineage, I can vouch for that as I have both Canadian and American bred bitches.

But I have a huge problem which I am hoping someone can help me with. I need a male to cover a bitch, it can't be any male, it has to be a solid dog that is either working or from working lines. Can anyone help?

I admire what you are trying to do with the Airdale(if it is not for money)BUT if it is not,how could you even contemplate using a dog that is not working,but from working lines?It is hard enough to breed good stock from PROVEN parents,but to breed from unproven stock just because they come from workers is lunacy!!!!

• Like 2

Hello greetings form Mexico,

I have been Airedale lover, for many years and I like what I have read about your breeding, I will like to know more about it, I like that you do not breed for money, but for the reestablish the true Airedale, we all should do that,

Good work Congratulations.

I know someone in The US who hunts with Airedales he is in the west coast, he is a god friend.

Is there a mail to contact you? You can see mine in my web page under my user’s name.

Antonio