Saluki Temperament.

How do you teach a saluki pup to be bombproof around stock and to return to heel, if they cannot even 'psychologically' handle a bollocking?

Do you get down on your knees and plead with them? :laugh:

Genuine question, surely the dog has to learn what is required of it?

I understand what folk say about them having a totally different background to other working dogs, but surely the dog must pay heed to its owner's tone of voice?

Edited by jukel123

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

start training them around stock at an early age and you shouldn't need to give them a bollocking

buy taking them when young round stock,same as any dog,returning to you same as any dog rewards and praise, no dont get on your knees especialy in a sheep field,people might think your welsh,lol most

I am amazed that people think the only way to train is dog is by giving it a "bollocking"

How do you teach a saluki pup to be bombproof around stock and to return to heel, if they cannot even 'psychologically' handle a bollocking?

I understand what folk say about them having a totally different background to other working dogs, but surely the dog must pay heed to its owner's tone of voice?

have a look on the saluki question post , ive said what i think as regards any type of dog with reprimand with sheep, a dog a dog simple as that :yes:

I can only say for my self that its not that hard at all trust me mine dont get a easy life like sum but it takes alot of time had my pure sitting jumping and so on [BANNED TEXT] he was a pup then i got bored with it lol all that still not going to kill you anything just wonted to see how hard it would be not hard at all

buy taking them when young round stock,same as any dog,returning to you same as any dog rewards and praise, no dont get on your knees especialy in a sheep field,people might think your welsh,lol most dogs learn whats required of them,and tone of voice when young and reinforced thru adult hood is all i need for any dog even salukis lol

• Like 6

I have a saluki x whippet

Don't make the same mistake as I did , I drilled manners in to him and fair dos he healed and retrieved like a field trail labrador but he lost his drive he wouldn't even chase a rabbit in the end, I was gutted and what made it even worse is I knew it was all my fault, he wined when he wasn't with me but wouldn't work for me so I gave him to a bloke I know who just wanted a pet stroke ferreting partner so thought it would be prefect for both the dog and the bloke when he had gone I looked at loads if different crosses but wanted another dog exactly the same as him but with all the drive but couldn't find one anywhere, but after a week I got a call saying he wouldn't stop whining and wouldn't eat, so I took him back and I was determined to get him going back to how he was giving his all and enjoying it again and sure enough now he gives 100% on every run and has caught a lot of stuff now he is pretty much faultless now and he even starts jumping up and down when I pick the lamp up of even when I put his collar on its do nice to see him like this again but he has taught me a very big lesson

Atb

Pete

• Like 2

Coo,s are with livestock 24/7 in the villages sheep goats chickens buffalo camels and they dont touch them , let them see a fox, hare, gazelle. Ibex even a ferral goat and they will course it and kill it. They do this because the lads who have the coos know exactly what they are doing with them and it is part of life not a hobby.it takes a lifetime to become a stockman and more than that to be a good stockman..

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 4

saluki temperament as the phrase goes , nine times out of ten is instilled via the owner not having any understanding of dogs in general or saluki in particular, a day out with the saluki club would open a few eyes, as I said on another thread am yet too see in three years a dog fail to return to hand, Biglicks dog coursed a hare in a sheep paddock on fens during a match , we walked away over other side of massive river dike, he called dog back and it jumped fence swam water back too hand, hardly failing to return that eh? when the dogs young and makes mistakes many get frustrated and start with the digs, kicks backhander out of sheer frustration, would ya belt a young kid for the same? its all about building bond then when ya have to get physical ya can do so and the dog will respect ya for it, not leave ya twenty mile in distance

• Like 5