Hunting Deer.

Ideation

Thanks for the information. . . .

I was just wondering if folk did it much? I can see how it works. . . . .

D&N - Muntjac are similar to Roe in that respect :thumbs:

Fallow are the interesting one. . . . . they do run miles, and they seem to have no problem crossing water here.

A member on here may remember a visit to this kneck of the woods, a long time preban, which ended with a very large and mature fallow buck, careering through the start of a large x-country marathon, across a large river, and straight through a campsite. . . . followed by the dogs.

I was wondering about the baying with the fallow? Anyone had it, apart from rutting bucks?

There seems to be something about the scent of deer that drives dogs mad, maybe an archaic memory of the days of the wolf, where a deer would represent a top kill and food source.

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Roe will run in big loops, bit like a hare, but may cross water etc, you would never bay up a roe, they run till they drop dizzy, and once you are used to certain areas, you and the dogs learn the usu

Around my area you could break wind and push Roe about,Fallow are restricted to the land they live in and will cross a river as easily as a meadow,any decent busher will soon come to terms with what t

3\4 grey 1\4 bull works well on deer.

Posted Images

Anybody hunted muntjac with decent hounds? I've always thought they would give you a decent hunt with a few small hounds on foot.

Dunno if they would bay up but I imagine in a big woodland you could have a bit of fun hunting them round. My terrier flushes and takes a line on them (while out walking completely unintentionally) but obviously looses the line after a hundred yards or so.

i use jagdterriers for big game. wild boar, roe, red deer. they only pick up the warmer tracks and stay closer than hounds, its works really well and are verry loud on track. together with the jagds i use pats, borders and a GWP. the red deer wil start walking most of the times of the beginnen of the hunt. the roes will mostly stay in cover till the last moment and the boars will stay in thick cover were the terriërs have to work really hard to get them out. when chasing roe the dogs will come back pretty fast, boar takes a bit longer. on red deer they can get much further away from me. i dont know why but it seems that how bigger the game how more they like it

Thanks for the information. . . .

I was just wondering if folk did it much? I can see how it works. . . . .

D&N - Muntjac are similar to Roe in that respect :thumbs:

Fallow are the interesting one. . . . . they do run miles, and they seem to have no problem crossing water here.

A member on here may remember a visit to this kneck of the woods, a long time preban, which ended with a very large and mature fallow buck, careering through the start of a large x-country marathon, across a large river, and straight through a campsite. . . . followed by the dogs.

I was wondering about the baying with the fallow? Anyone had it, apart from rutting bucks?

There seems to be something about the scent of deer that drives dogs mad, maybe an archaic memory of the days of the wolf, where a deer would represent a top kill and food source.

Fallow will be brought to a bay, with hounds, if they dont bring it straight down.

I would have liked to have hunted those little muntjac, with the old bushing pack. I bet they are great fun in those brambly woodlands down south.

does anybody think there is a difference in taste between deer thats been shot and one taken by a dog pre ban

i personally dont , once its bled , the shooting lads tell you its better shot no stress etc etc but i think its only to put you off hunting them ;) cattle , pigs are beatin on & off trucks goin to slaughter & they taste fine.

• Like 2

KD - Not quite what I was thinking mate, as I've said, plenty of folk hunted deer up during the day with runners and ran them down in open land, but was just wondering about folk using the smaller hound types to push them out of cover or even catch them, or to just hunt them for fun lol.

Edited by Ideation
  • Like 1

does anybody think there is a difference in taste between deer thats been shot and one taken by a dog pre ban

i personally dont , once its bled , the shooting lads tell you its better shot no stress etc etc but i think its only to put you off hunting them ;) cattle , pigs are beatin on & off trucks goin to slaughter & they taste fine.

i hav noticed bit of difference but only after i was told about it lol its def the best of meat especially when its free ;)