Hello everyone I am having problems with my 5 month old lurcher pup I have tried training pads and every time I try not puting them down there is just a wet patch on the floor just could do with some advice to help me to stop the messing in the house

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dont tell a pup off for pissing, like smacking a kid for doing it? if a pup pees, its your fault because you didnt get it outside at the right time, so dont listen to stupid advice like telling it off

listen boy, you've only had 3 lurchers in your life so who made you King trainer? if you got to smack a dog to house train it then you have serious issues with your training skills.. all my pups are h

nathan john, the only reason a pup will piss on the floor is because it is inside when it needs to piss. its up to you to make sure it is outside when it needs to piss, so it is your fault if you get

Need to catch them peeing on the floor and tell them off not to hard tho also every time your pup gets up for a wonder round let him out and if he does a wee outside praise him a little

dont tell a pup off for pissing, like smacking a kid for doing it? if a pup pees, its your fault because you didnt get it outside at the right time, so dont listen to stupid advice like telling it off!!

keep the pup in a crate when you are not with it. as soon as it wakes up, put it out, and wait until it pees, even if you have to wait an hour. watch the pup at all times, when it looks a bit agitated, nose to the floor and trotting back and forth, it needs to go out, and wait till it pees. learn to watch the pup and learn when it is going to go. dont leave it out of the crate unattended. be alert and it should be trained pretty quickly, but every time you miss out you are back to square one. you have made the situation worse by not sorting this out sooner as the pup thinks its ok to go inside now. its a pretty simple thing to teach a pup, and people should do their homework and learn these basic techniques before buying one.

• Like 8

As above, most dogs don't like wetting their bed so crate the pup, watch him if he sleeps, when he wakes take him out, and when he does, praise him.

I toilet trained my pups using this method really quick, but you have to be more or less with them all the time for the first week, until they start getting it, which was no problem as im retired.

I think you've probably inadvertently trained your pup to pee where the training pad was.

As above, scold when you catch it in the act.

Get a crate-ignore the howls at first and immediately let it outside when you release it from the crate. Praise it when it pees outside.

soon as it starts mooching get it out side when it does anything outside give it treat or bit of praise when you catch it pissing in the house give it a tap on the nose and a bolloking then put it outside always worked for me people will have different ways of doing things but if you dont let it no its bad to pis in the house its gunna think its ok when there getting a tap when pissing in house theyll soon learn to go to door mate

Edited by andy97

soon as it starts mooching get it out side when it does anything outside give it treat or bit of praise when you catch it pissing in the house give it a tap on the nose and a bolloking then put it outside always worked for me people will have different ways of doing things but if you dont let it no its bad to pis in the house its gunna think its ok when there getting a tap when pissing in house theyll soon learn to go to door mate

Only if they already know it's OK to piss outside. Otherwise they'll believe you don't want them to piss at all and you'll get nowhere with it.

• Like 1

Need to catch them peeing on the floor and tell them off not to hard tho also every time your pup gets up for a wonder round let him out and if he does a wee outside praise him a little

dont tell a pup off for pissing, like smacking a kid for doing it? if a pup pees, its your fault because you didnt get it outside at the right time, so dont listen to stupid advice like telling it off!!

keep the pup in a crate when you are not with it. as soon as it wakes up, put it out, and wait until it pees, even if you have to wait an hour. watch the pup at all times, when it looks a bit agitated, nose to the floor and trotting back and forth, it needs to go out, and wait till it pees. learn to watch the pup and learn when it is going to go. dont leave it out of the crate unattended. be alert and it should be trained pretty quickly, but every time you miss out you are back to square one. you have made the situation worse by not sorting this out sooner as the pup thinks its ok to go inside now. its a pretty simple thing to teach a pup, and people should do their homework and learn these basic techniques before buying one.

telling a dog off for peeing on the floor is not like smacking a kid for it but if a kid did piss all over your floor you would tell them off aswell otherwise they would grow up to think its ok to go round pissing on people's floors so I don't think it's stupid advice at all

If a pup has got to 5 months old without ever learning to go outside to pee then it will be far more difficult to house train it: I don't think those training pads are much good as they get the pup into the habit of peeing in the house when it should be learning to go outside. If this were my pup I'd take a couple of weeks holiday and spend 24/7 with the pup, starting from scratch, treating it like an 8 week old pup that has come into the house for the first time. Getting into the right habit after being in the wrong habit will take some doing and it is only by making sure that the pup never has to pee inside again that you'll be able to re-train it successfully.

OK, this might not be a practical thing for you to do, in which case I'd think about kennelling the pup whilst you are not there, unless you can do the crate thing, but it is important to know that the crate isn't just a place to where you put the pup to stop it peeing on the floor. It may well pee in the crate if you leave it there for too long, and you'll need to train it to accept the crate at an awkward age too.

You need to start off by feeing the pup in the crate all the time: pups are less likely to mess where they eat. Also establish a strict routine of going outside to pee and crap at the key times it needs to. When is it most likely to pee in the house? Make a note of the times it does so, and adjust your routine to make things easier for the pup. If the pup never craps inside it already knows something, which is good, but the peeing may take a long time to sort out.

Always go outside with the pup, never just chuck it out and wait a bit before letting it back in. Teach it to pee on command: I do this with all my house dogs. You wait until you see them peeing then say 'do wees' or whatever words you want to use. The pup will soon learn to associate the words with the action of peeing, and it makes it so much easier once they know this. I just open the door and tell mine to go and they do, then race back inside again, especially if it is raining!

Don't expect miracles overnight, and pups of 5 months are also in the middle of teething, which means their house training can take a backwards step sometimes, what with the discomfort of jaw pain etc. If the pup is only peeing at night, then you'll have to go to bed later and get up earlier, and maybe change feeding times too: feeding around 2 hours before you go to bed means the pup has ample opportunity to pee straight after it has been fed, which is normal, and again in a couple of hours just before bed time.

• Like 2

Well what a f***ing retard thing to say " it's like smacking a kid " [BANNED TEXT] u f**k u on about if my kid pissed on the floor at 5 years old I'd give him s good smack and the same goes for the dog, if u wanna live in a house that smells of dog piss then crack on a DON'T smake ur dogs, a good trainer knows when to pat or slap a dog, I charge £49.99 per hour and I promise ur dog won't ever piss again !

Well what a f*****g retard thing to say " it's like smacking a kid " [bANNED TEXT] u f**k u on about if my kid pissed on the floor at 5 years old I'd give him s good smack and the same goes for the dog, if u wanna live in a house that smells of dog piss then crack on a DON'T smake ur dogs, a good trainer knows when to pat or slap a dog, I charge £49.99 per hour and I promise ur dog won't ever piss again !

ye youve got to let them know its wrong to piss in the house a slap is a simple way of doing it by not doing anything or just putting them outside theres no consiquence if they do piss in the house but if they know there going to get a slap theyll start going to the door and wining and when older they learn to hold it in 3 week my dog was trained no more anything in the house