Speed

relic2

I can only speak for one terrier which is my Lakeland as o havnt seen a great deal of terriers on the move nut I suppose there all be equally as fast weather it be a Russel Plummer pat

Ive had Lakeys/Fells and leggy Russels,Beddy,s leave them trailing,especially Lakey,s.In reality the difference in speed from one to the other makes little difference when the dogs are bashing cover,anything that gets into open ground,apart from long-tails, will leave any terrier standing. The way the dog works is more important than its lack of pace.

agree with whats been said about the longer legged type terriers and imo the bedlington is a lot faster than my fell terrier or my mates jack russell.

that is if we are talking about speed out in the open .

i didn,t used to be a fan of terriers with shorter legs than mine because they weren,t as fast out in the open.

HOWEVER after seeing a short legged jack russell run rabbits through heavy cover i changed my mind because it could turn back on itself and was very fast in tight places where my dog was forced to slow down a bit.

as this question about speed has been asked in the bushing section i would say that it depends where you want the speed?

out in the open when the rabbit has been bolted the beddy or beddy cross would be good.

if you already have a dog that flushes out into the open then you will have more success with a small lurcher or whippet.

if all your catches are made in cover then i wouldn,t go for something too big

atb

• Like 2

agree with most of the above,if your flushing to lurchers speeds not that important, pure prey drive would be important i have small russells that are bullet proof every bit as good as the leggy type or most fells which i also have, if your not flushing to lurchers ,first cross beddy/whippet will flush and catch ,hunted with some real good ones atb.

I can only speak for one terrier which is my Lakeland as o havnt seen a great deal of terriers on the move nut I suppose there all be equally as fast weather it be a Russel Plummer pat

Ive had Lakeys/Fells and leggy Russels,Beddy,s leave them trailing,especially Lakey,s.In reality the difference in speed from one to the other makes little difference when the dogs are bashing cover,anything that gets into open ground,apart from long-tails, will leave any terrier standing. The way the dog works is more important than its lack of pace.

seen a couple cocker/russels that worked cover to quick for there own good,push a few bunnies out and move on to the next bit of cover with me knowing there still rabbits in there and sending them back in,id rather a slower more methodical type if pushing them out for a lurcher,as you say the way it works is more important

• Like 1