Getting A Pup To Chase

My pup was never interested in a ball or retrieving anything he would chase the terriers that's all and about a month ago he saw his first rabbit off the lead and he chased like mad he final caught it to my relive ha he had a victory run and play but after a few mins he brought it to me I couldn't believe it really he's done it twice since but im taking it easy with him he's young. So what I mean is don't panic it came for my lad atb with him

Thanks all. I wasn't worrying to much but just thought its a pups instinct to chase and play. His sitting and staying Is comeing on very well considering I've only had him 2 weeks this Saturday. Stock breaking is the next job any tips on that esp sheep?

Flert pole gets um moving a bit as long as you keep it fun for the pup, breaking to sheep as a young pup you should have no probs use a stern voice and keep the pup on the lead... With an older pup or young sapling a washing line tied to its coller and walk to the sheep if the dog runs at them, yank the line it will stop it getting to them pluss giving you full control of the pup ....

• Like 1

Flert pole gets um moving a bit as long as you keep it fun for the pup, breaking to sheep as a young pup you should have no probs use a stern voice and keep the pup on the lead... With an older pup or young sapling a washing line tied to its coller and walk to the sheep if the dog runs at them, yank the line it will stop it getting to them pluss giving you full control of the pup ....

Thanks jack really appreciate it

Get the dog walking on the lead first then to heel. Then walk the pup around sheep on the lead , watch the pup closely if the pups show interest then a sharp harsh tone of " SHEEEEP" and a quick tug on the lead. After a few trips out and you and the pup are confident try the pup walking to heel ( in a small field at first ) repeat the process every few days .

It does depend if you have a submissive or dominant pup with how much you rate them ( tell them off). Don't forget to keep it short at first and plenty of praise afterwards .

I hope it helps :thumbs:

• Like 1

Get the dog walking on the lead first then to heel. Then walk the pup around sheep on the lead , watch the pup closely if the pups show interest then a sharp harsh tone of " SHEEEEP" and a quick tug on the lead. After a few trips out and you and the pup are confident try the pup walking to heel ( in a small field at first ) repeat the process every few days .

It does depend if you have a submissive or dominant pup with how much you rate them ( tell them off). Don't forget to keep it short at first and plenty of praise afterwards .

I hope it helps :thumbs:

Thanks raw I will do this. I think he's more a submissive pup so shouldn't be to hard. Thanks again there are some good blokes on here

• Like 2

As raw has said make sure you praise the pup when he doesnt look at the sheep, stay calm, Most of all better to get permission off farmer before your seen walking through sheep by some nosey neighbour. The praise is important.

Haha luckily I've got a friend who's got a small flock so will be going around there very very soon, thanks again

• Like 1