Charging For Ferreting

Big difference between paid pest control and ferreting , do you have enough gear ,ferrets etc for a full days ferreting and your expected to dig every rabbit out , Then what do you look for for a days graft elsewhere add on your fuel and allow for a bit wear and tear on your gear add that on and you have your price

• Like 2

Don't know how some of you lads can think there's a living in rabbiting.

I've got mates who are pest controllers and they next to never get asked to remove rabbits.

The country is full of keen lads, some of them decent lads, who would graft for days on end clearing a place of rabbits for free :hmm:

• Like 1

Paid rabbiting is OK, but you have to look on it as a job of work rather than sport.

The numbers don't really matter; what matters is solving the problem. It's amazing how much damage a few rabbits can do to a garden.

I work on a day rate. That day rate covers the cost of employing me and anyone I need to help me, the cost of running a business, and some profit.

The national pest control companies work at a rate of £45-£75 per hour. At a day rate that means in reality £350-£450 per day.

If you've spent thousands on your garden it puts it into perspective somewhat.

Whatever you do, don't go at it half cock. Your either in business or you are not. Your 'sporting' insurance won't cover you if you are doing it for 'reward' so you'll have to take out a separate liability policy.

Unless you fancy a life of penury and poverty offer to do it for free, or pass it on to a professional outfit.

One final word of warning. The life of a full time rabbit catcher may sound great when you spend your spare time doing it, but in reality, it's hard work for little reward and it takes the 'edge' off the fun side of the job.......

I only once took a paid ferreting job, a lady called me who lived around 60 miles away that had been recommended me by a friend of a friend, offered £60 to ferret her garden, at the end of the day, we had worked the ferts hard in every boundary warren in her garden, and had FOUR RABBITS to show for it, we told her at the start that lamping would be the better option, as her garden was in the middle of no where, and rabbits were coming in from the surrounding area, give her her dues she still paid us, but you could tell she weren't happy, especially when I said the local butcher was selling rabbits at £4.50, and she had just paid £15 lol

most lads will do it free depending on how many rabbits are on the land and how far they will have to travel ive ferreted 20 years now traveled as far north as scotland and as far south as devon. so for me it depends on quantity on how far ill travel

Have done paid jobs in gardens etc but it puts a completely different obligation on ferreting when someone is paying you. We tend to do most rabbiting jobs on a sporting agreement now much more enjoyable and not under any pressure to produce dozens of rabbits that some of the customers think they have eating there gardens when its normally 3 or 4 and they are normally coming in from surrounding farmland etc

well I was thinking about this the other week it seams to me that if this carrys on that people charge this ferreting will end up not as a sport but for people to make money on how sad is it. looked on ebay 18 months ago nets were qi=uid each plus delivery of 3 quid now they 2 quid each. lets not make ferreting as a busness

It is sport at the end of the day. But if you get an offer paid, why not?! It will always be sport genrally, until the rabbits have a population boost for what ever reason. But if someone asks for a fulfilled pest control job to be completed on their land, give it a good effort.

Side note - Do you think scattering ferret crap in/on holes or on the top of filled holes put off rabbits coming back?

ferreting is a hobby/ recreation for many but saying lets not make this a business is daft. that's like saying lets not charge for rat, mouse ,wasp or mole control. all these things cost money in either fuel, kit or time. I had been asked by a farmer to control rabbits to prevent further damage to a crop in which he is making money on so is it bad that I want to cover my fuel and general kit wear and tear.

As said why should folk pay for ferreters to clear rabbits when they can have folk knocking on there door every day to do it for free ?.

The odd exception is a lady i ferret for fell out with all the locals and she will pay me for travelling and killing her rabbits and they guy next door was really surprised she had somebody controlling her rabbits