.223 Or .243 For Lamping Foxes

I like the 204 in preference to the 243 because you can actually see what is happening. With my 243 the recoil is such that you lose the sight picture, you know the one, have i hit it or not scenario. I also like the fact it is doing a little in excess of 4,200 fps they aren't as wind affected as you might think. Sure i like my .243 it's good fun i just like the 204 for foxing better.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FFS some FEO`s need a bloody slap.   Tell me the difference in owning a .223 or a .243 or even a bloody .308 None !! they all throw lead a long way.   Anyway,, .223 is a superb round, and chea

I have a shared cabinet with the wife and we have to have all calibres/firearms and ammunition entered on both certs.the bit I've highlighted would be proof enough that they are on the wind up, no for

Well next time you see them ask to have a look at the certificates, there is more chance of platting fog than getting a .243, to shoot in England on open ticket with the particular force in question,

Posted Images

Only problem with the 204 is the shop round and for that matter the reloading. As its not so common. Same goes for the 222. I have one and shoot a lot of rounds but I did not suggest it as I know how much harder it is to find the fodder.

Yes the 204 is a sweet round but Its not the most practical. Come to think about it, the 22hh is the same.

I like the 204 in preference to the 243 because you can actually see what is happening. With my 243 the recoil is such that you lose the sight picture, you know the one, have i hit it or not scenario. I also like the fact it is doing a little in excess of 4,200 fps they aren't as wind affected as you might think. Sure i like my .243 it's good fun i just like the 204 for foxing better.

Well if you must have 4000+ fps a 243 can be loaded to exceed that with a 55 grain bullet no problem, and with a good moderator on board, the recoil is very mild, and I find I can see whats going on, but fair enough mate, we all have our preferences, Activeviii I dont know why you have a problem with .222 rounds? It is a very common calibre, every shop around here carries .222 ammo, and it is a piece of cake to reload for.

Only problem with the 204 is the shop round and for that matter the reloading. As its not so common. Same goes for the 222. I have one and shoot a lot of rounds but I did not suggest it as I know how much harder it is to find the fodder.

Yes the 204 is a sweet round but Its not the most practical. Come to think about it, the 22hh is the same.

It is best if you are reloading for either calibre and if you are it will pay dividends in the results. Takes me very little time to knock 50 rounds up and the saving is good too, although that is not the reason i reload.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Does the open ticket only apply to stalking in scotland? Or do they have an open ticket in England as well? because a great majority of Scottish land is not passed by the police there, so in order to shoot there, you would have to have it open, but I will bet you a pint or two that they are not allowed to fire a single bullet, on English soil, unless its passed.

I saw them and asked tonight, its completely open England and Scotland, although they only shoot deer in Scotland.

Ok mate, do you mean they are only allowed to shoot deer in Scotland? Or through choice they only stalk in Scotland? I find it hard to believe they got an open ticket, on first application, with no conditions, with no previous experience, including England! Not for a moment doubting what you say, but I think there is more to it than perhaps they are letting on? If not mate I would be going up with them, having a crack on that estate, and banging an application in :thumbs:

By choice they only stalk in Scotland.

I can only go off what they're telling me but they're saying its completely open for both England and Scotland. I've no reason to disbelieve them even though it seems an unusual grant. I think they did DSC1 though, its somewhere in the back of my mind.

They say they specified deer but didn't specify where, just that it would be various estates by means of bought days.

Which makes it EVEN more surprising :icon_eek: I would doubt many forces in this day and age would grant a deer calibre on the basis of paid days only, they must have paid for some stalking with an estate and specified where before applying! I mean come on, it does not ring true that on first application for centerfire rifles, with no previous knowledge, no set ground to stalk on, no firearms experience, that they were granted fully open certificates, in both Scotland and England, no sorry I dont buy it mate, as said earlier, I am not doubting you in any way, but I think they are either winding you up, or not telling the full story, if I am wrong, then then it does make a bit of a mockery of the system, when people with lots of cf experience find it difficult to obtain an open certificate, it just does not make sense, at the very least I would have expected the estate to be named on the cert, and any other stalking to be done on ground passed safe for the calibres, and even that I would say was a tall order on first application, without mentoring. :hmm:

I agree Charlie.

They both work in legal, he was employed in the Courts, so whether or not that did them any favours, I don't know. Like I say no reason to disbelieve them and they do have the guns for definite. The shooting they do is at a lodge owned by a friend in Scotland, so maybe they had a written letter from him verifying that, and that was enough, plus the fact that they said they wanted to deer stalk in England as well on bought days. I really don't know.

The other strange thing is they share a cabinet and yet say they don't have each others calibres on their certificates (him .22RF + .243, her .22RF + .22-250) and yet they swear blind the police have said this is ok and have approved the arrangement (no internal wires or locks to prevent cross access).

Quite puzzled, but maybe they've just got lucky. I'd certainly want approval of the safe keeping arrangement separately to the grant and in writing in those circumstances as that's one that could definitely bite you on the small cross breed donkey!

Edited by Alsone

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm work in legal like yourself, or not, Bullshit there is far more to this than meets the eye, they are not giving you the full picture, did they apply for .22 rf at the same time as the .243/.22-250 ? I am telling you now mate, they are winding you up, I reckon they have latched on on to the fact that you want a rifle and now stirring the pot.

I agree Charlie.

They both work in legal, he was employed in the Courts, so whether or not that did them any favours, I don't know. Like I say no reason to disbelieve them and they do have the guns for definite. The shooting they do is at a lodge owned by a friend in Scotland, so maybe they had a written letter from him verifying that, and that was enough, plus the fact that they said they wanted to deer stalk in England as well on bought days. I really don't know.

The other strange thing is they share a cabinet and yet say they don't have each others calibres on their certificates (him .22RF + .243, her .22RF + .22-250) and yet they swear blind the police have said this is ok and have approved the arrangement (no internal wires or locks to prevent cross access).

Quite puzzled, but maybe they've just got lucky. I'd certainly want approval of the safe keeping arrangement separately to the grant and in writing in those circumstances as that's one that could definitely bite you on the small cross breed donkey!

I have a shared cabinet with the wife and we have to have all calibres/firearms and ammunition entered on both certs.the bit I've highlighted would be proof enough that they are on the wind up, no force would ever allow this since the cert holders would be in possession of an illegally held firearm by the simple fact that they could access a firearm that they are not certificated for.

• Like 2

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm work in legal like yourself, or not, Bullshit there is far more to this than meets the eye, they are not giving you the full picture, did they apply for .22 rf at the same time as the .243/.22-250 ? I am telling you now mate, they are winding you up, I reckon they have latched on on to the fact that you want a rifle and now stirring the pot.

No they had CF's 1st and then applied for .22 RF's quite recently.

They don't know I'm potentially after a CF and equally they don't do wind ups, both are really serious about what they say and do. I've known them 20 years and never known them wind up anyone.

I don't in anyway disagree with anything you or Dan or Deker have said, In fact I agree entirely, but I have no reason to disbelieve them either. All I know on the cabinet point is that they claim that the force concerned have approved the arrangement.

I agree Charlie.

I have a shared cabinet with the wife and we have to have all calibres/firearms and ammunition entered on both certs.the bit I've highlighted would be proof enough that they are on the wind up, no force would ever allow this since the cert holders would be in possession of an illegally held firearm by the simple fact that they could access a firearm that they are not certificated for.

As above Dan. maybe they're mistaken about what's on their own certs. However, I've no reason to believe they're telling anything other than what they believe to be the truth. I agree entirely with your analysis of the cabinet position, that was mine immediately and I confronted her with it (gently) and she swore blind they only have their own respective calibres on the certs even when I pointed out that it wasn't legal. She insisted the FEO had said that the fact they both hold CF certs was enough for him to approve the arrangement. I pointed out about internal security such as chains or trigger locks and again was told they each had access to each others guns in the cabinet albeit they couldn't take them out.

So beyond that I don't really know.

Edited by Alsone