.223 Or .243 For Lamping Foxes

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FFS some FEO`s need a bloody slap.   Tell me the difference in owning a .223 or a .243 or even a bloody .308 None !! they all throw lead a long way.   Anyway,, .223 is a superb round, and chea

I have a shared cabinet with the wife and we have to have all calibres/firearms and ammunition entered on both certs.the bit I've highlighted would be proof enough that they are on the wind up, no for

Well next time you see them ask to have a look at the certificates, there is more chance of platting fog than getting a .243, to shoot in England on open ticket with the particular force in question,

Posted Images

.If the gods chose a cartridge, it would most likely be .222, phenomenally accurate round, and almost impossible to mess up reloading for, a cool as fu-k case with that long neck, in my opinion, outshines a .223 on accuracy, if I was to have another rifle to shoot foxes and small deer with, along side the .243, .222 would be very close to the top of the list, along with .220 swift and .22-250.

• Like 1

Honestly Charlie It`s the nicest rifle I have ever shot,, it`s a total joy.

.222 hits hard as well.

Ballistically there is bugger all in it between the .222 and the .223. The .223 is louder, but it performs almost identically to the smaller round

I cant see you getting a .243 for fox alone but then you don't need it if Hornady are right. according to Hornady's ballistics calculator the 53gr Superformence round with a bc .290 zeroed at 250 yards travels as follows. MPBR at 100 yards +1.9" at 150 yards +2.3" at 200 yards +1.7" at 250 yards 0" at 275 yards -1.3" at 300 yards -3" and then drops fairly fast after that. so on a fox sized target its point and shoot out to 300 yards with no wind. I'm not 100% on this but I think with a 10mph cross wind the bullet drift is 16" at 300 yards. good enough for any fox in my book.

Edited to say wind drift at 300 yards with a 10 MPH cross wind is 8.5"

Edited by alan81

Worth a phone call then, I will see what my FAO says about it....

I currently have 3 permissions, one 26 acre small holding which was only cleared for .22lr and two farms both about 500 acres each which were already cleared for a .22lr but maybe more, I will find out. But I'm confident that if they are not already, then they will be cleared for a centrefire....

Cheers

Another spanner in the works for you ! Are you going to reload your own? Look at the calibre which is most common for your area. Like down here in Kent a .270 is hard to get factory ammo as it is not a common round here but up country very common but down here 223 22-250 243 are common as muck so a lot of choice and not too bad on price. I have a .222 and a .243 wssm. Now when I am out lamping I take the .243 as it is my favourite one. It is set up with 95gr ballistic silver tips. See Charlie put the cross hairs on him and the good old thud comes back, but there is a bloody mess to clear up afterwards. As for your area well they are all different it is down to your FEO personal choice on what he thinks suitable.

you could put on your fac FOR HUMANELY DESPATCHING WILD MAMMALS ,this will give you the upper hand as people may call you or dispatching mammals in destress ,also for PURPOSE OF CARRYING OUT ATIVITIVES OF ESTATE MANAGEMENT this also lets you kill stock so .243 cal rifle is more suitable

on my fac it states for purpose to shoot foxes and deer (ive a 243 granted) so I would put it down to your local police force forcing your hand on a lower calibre