Complaicency hurts.

Went for a tip about today with a mate,we went to a farm that was holding game.Spoke to the farmer and he told us where to go.So Joe and I went with his terrier and I brought a staff bitch just for company for me :whistling: We did our stuff and I told Joe to take the terrier back to the van and I'd back fill and follow him down.When I did what was needed I walked down the 1st field and there were a lot of cows and heifers and a few calves milling about after Joe had walked through.I walked into the field that held the cattle and I think it was the free running dog that got them a little over excited.The staff was ducking and diving trying to avoid the feet of the cows.All of a sudden a few young cows made a lunge at the dog and she scarpered up the field and the cows close behind chasing.Now the dog did a full circle and headed back looking for sanctuary behind my legs......swiftly......and I mean swiftly, followed by the now over excited cattle.I took a glance behind to see a cow coming full belt towards me not more than 6 feet away,and it wasnt the dog she intended to make contact with,she was aiming to head butt me into next month.I had to jump quickly out of the way and as I did I jumped straight into the path of a follower,luckily it tried to turn away from me but skidded sideways and hit me full on with its flank/ribs and knocked seven times of shit out of me.I landed on my face and hands and rolled over onto my back.At this point there were hooves all round me and only inches away.Thank God I had the presence of mind to get back on my feet and I left rip with the shovel.I made contact with one beast and the rest scattered.I was badly winded and soon after got the shakes.The dog was stamped on and a hoof print was visible on her back.Through all this she never retalliated and just did a runner back to the car.When I reached the car Joe asked what the f**k kept me.He hadnt seen any of the drama.I have to say I'm bloody sore at the moment and my shoulder is very stiff and my lower back aches like hell.I have been through cows a million times over without a thought but this will put me on the alert from now on.A bit of advice to you all,dont take your eyes off the bastarding cattle ever again.If the 1st cow had made contact with me I would either be dead or in a wheelchair for good,and thats not being over dramatic.I was very lucky today,and I'm very aware of it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm scared shittless of them! even more now. I have been in a field with cows before being followed about, the other thing I hate is how they come across sometimes and keep Nudging and then another will come over for a go, I now stay totaly clear of them.....

You was a lucky man Jigsaw :yes:....

Guest little_lloyd

I dont like them much especialy the cheeky fat ugly bullocks :boxing:

But Horses are what scare the shit out of me, Try walking through a load of them in the pitch black not knowing where they are with them running around the paddock like looneys.

Guest captain chaos
Went for a tip about today with a mate,we went to a farm that was holding game.Spoke to the farmer and he told us where to go.So Joe and I went with his terrier and I brought a staff bitch just for company for me :whistling: We did our stuff and I told Joe to take the terrier back to the van and I'd back fill and follow him down.When I did what was needed I walked down the 1st field and there were a lot of cows and heifers and a few calves milling about after Joe had walked through.I walked into the field that held the cattle and I think it was the free running dog that got them a little over excited.The staff was ducking and diving trying to avoid the feet of the cows.All of a sudden a few young cows made a lunge at the dog and she scarpered up the field and the cows close behind chasing.Now the dog did a full circle and headed back looking for sanctuary behind my legs......swiftly......and I mean swiftly, followed by the now over excited cattle.I took a glance behind to see a cow coming full belt towards me not more than 6 feet away,and it wasnt the dog she intended to make contact with,she was aiming to head butt me into next month.I had to jump quickly out of the way and as I did I jumped straight into the path of a follower,luckily it tried to turn away from me but skidded sideways and hit me full on with its flank/ribs and knocked seven times of shit out of me.I landed on my face and hands and rolled over onto my back.At this point there were hooves all round me and only inches away.Thank God I had the presence of mind to get back on my feet and I left rip with the shovel.I made contact with one beast and the rest scattered.I was badly winded and soon after got the shakes.The dog was stamped on and a hoof print was visible on her back.Through all this she never retalliated and just did a runner back to the car.When I reached the car Joe asked what the f**k kept me.He hadnt seen any of the drama.I have to say I'm bloody sore at the moment and my shoulder is very stiff and my lower back aches like hell.I have been through cows a million times over without a thought but this will put me on the alert from now on.A bit of advice to you all,dont take your eyes off the bastarding cattle ever again.If the 1st cow had made contact with me I would either be dead or in a wheelchair for good,and thats not being over dramatic.I was very lucky today,and I'm very aware of it.

hi, i work with the bloody things! and if they are not kicking then they end up shitting on you!! :pardon:

I always, but fecking always, avoid cattle. Most cows, and as Loyd says, especially bullocks hate dogs other than those they are used to, and love to chase them.

Last year I was crossing a field when who comes through the gap but a trio of bullocks, all delighted to see me and the dog. The feckers charged us, but no harm done, I was able to tell Hannah to make for the next field and brought the galloping bovines from hell to a halt by waving them down. That usually does the trick, but if it didn't I was going to run. And I hate running.

So the moral of the story is, always mind the bullocks.

I hate cattle also, had about 15 horses circle me and mate one night, we were right in the middle of a canny size moor. I wanted to run, but my kept me paitent (feck knows how, lol) they came up to my face, gave snort then nashed, my heart was in my mouth!!! Never again will i enter a field with cattle in

I have a healthy respect for them, having been raised on a dairy farm and seen an experienced cow man put in hospital by a cow who felt her calf was being threatened. I only cross fields with them in if there's no other option.

Glad you got home in one piece :yes:

Edited by Scallywag

The b*****ds never bother me(and still dont)but I saw a situation that I've been in numerous time turn very close to nasty to say the least.I will be amongst them again no doubt but I'll sure as hell take a little more notice of where they are from now on,and by f**k am I sore at the moment :sorry:

HELL JIGSAW ,

COULD HAVE BEEN VERY NASTY ........... I WAS TALKING TO AN OLD FARM HAND LAST YEAR ,

HIS OPINION WAS THAT THE METHODS OF MODERN BEEF FARMING WAS NOT GIVEING THE CATTLE ENOUGH HUMAN CONTACT , ....... THE FEED IS TAKEN OUT IN A ROUND BALE BY A TRACTOR , DROPPED INTO A FEED RING ....... ETC .......... VERY RARELY WAS THE FARMER WALKING AMONGST THEM ..... ALL THEY SAW WAS A LUMP OF MACHINERY DAY AFTER DAY

MYSELF IVE HAD NUMEROUS RUN INS WITH DODGEY ANIMALS ........... ONE OF THE WORST WAS WITH AN ARAB STALLION THAT WAS INTENT ON BITEING THE DOGS AND MY LITTLE LASS ......... RARELY HAVE I SEEN A MORE AGGRESIVE ANIMAL

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

A lad i used to know once got butted up the arse by a bovine with horns, he nearly had a new arsehole, in fact the doc said that another few inches accross and it would have been straight up the arsehole he already had, that was lamping at night

Growing up on a farm i have also had a few near misses, the worst was at a cattle market when i nearly got squashed to death,

also been flattened by sheep when trying to herd them into a trailler, it wasn't the sheep running over me that hurt, but the fact i was face down in a pile of nettles :censored:

I was black and blue and red all over (i know thats an old joke but the stings hurt more than the hoove prints) :haha:

I have seen a bloke lose his calf muscle to a stubborn pig that bit him, he still has a big whole where we all have a calf muscle

Never take your eyes off stock, especially if with a dog, and Jigsaw did the right thing letting the dog run loose, as usually they are after the dog (but not always as he found out) and a dog is a lot faster and capable of avoiding them than even the fastest person, and you dont want to be impeded with a mutt on a lead when trying to exit a field ASAP.

Forgot to mention i was also nearly killed by a fecking horse once, on the farm i grew up on, there was a bridleway past our house, the bullocks in the front field started to chase a woman on a horse (they did this lots and i have seen a woman and a horse go straight through a wooden fence) me and my brother went to help and open the gate so the woman could get the scared horse through the gate, and the horse tried to run me down whilst my back was turned, the woman never said anything, it was my brother shouting that made me turn and i managed to jump sufficently out of the way and just recieved a glancing blow

In fact when i think about all the injuries and near misses i have had or witnessed, its suprising i still venture out into the country side :haha:

Jaysus jigsaw, that was a close one?!!!

Some cows can be wicked!! Some farms i go on, the farmer will often tell me, ''that feild over their has a wicked cow in it'' ect.

I had a run in with a few bullocks the other day, as seen below, thats why i did not bring the dog, as you can see the way they are looking at me. Still, nowt as horrific as yours jigsaw!! You should see a doctor with them injurys, just in case?

Get well soon,

Frank.

post-2857-1189832734_thumb.jpg

:thumbdown: Reckon the cattle round here are all mad! The dog doesn't trust them either and hides behind me - which puts me in the front line so I keep well clear of any field with them in.

But it was sheep that got me - feeding them one winter and the ram sneaked up behind, belted me on the backside and I did the classic - feet up, bum flat on the ground and 50 sheep trampling over for the spilled nuts :haha: And farmer, ex-husband and son pissing themselves laughing...... :clapper: