• 3 months later...

hi im ruggers from lees west yorks just wondered if anyone can help me with my snaring naim trying to make my own and set them but i keep catching freshair im new to hunting andim also trying ferreting any help would be appreciated iv posted here because i dont kno my way around the site properly yet could someone help ? cheers

Woodga on here made a good film about snaring and also sells snares.

The film, and various snare materials are also available from fourteenacre. Google it.

There are also articles on snaring on the forum and various threads. Do a forum search and you'll find all the information you need.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone had any experience of using metal or plastic pegs for securing their snares. The types as used in camping?

I appreciate that natural wood looks better (and is cheaper) but I have an inclination to try Red plastic which will make the snares easier to find and more convenient to use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Has anyone had any experience of using metal or plastic pegs for securing their snares. The types as used in camping?

I appreciate that natural wood looks better (and is cheaper) but I have an inclination to try Red plastic which will make the snares easier to find and more convenient to use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

the snare peg should be fully knocked in so you are not going to see anything unless you are stood right over it, ......use wood.

• 3 months later...

wont let me post in the snares section .

does anyone sell snares for rabbits and strong enough for hares to ?

want them all ready to be used with pegs ect

I can't remember where I heard it, I think it was from a book, but apparently if you're looking to snare hare, you are better attaching the snare to a loose brick or roof tile. The hare should be found dead about a meter or 2 from where the tile was situated. Something about the sudden jerk breaking the snare and injuring the animal, but not killing it, while the ability for the snare to 'drag' a short distance allows a clean kill.

I'm just getting into snaring myself, so I can't say I have first hand experience in this though.

your quite wrong!! any way a drag on a snare is now illegal :yes: a stout 7ins peg will hold a hare no problem at all.i use a six strand 24 inches long for both rabbits and hares i know that a good friend of mine uses a 26 inch noose just for hares to good effect :thumbs: oh and just so you know iv snared hundreds of brown and blue mountain hares so i can speak from experience :yes:

• Like 4

your quite wrong!! any way a drag on a snare is now illegal :yes: a stout 7ins peg will hold a hare no problem at all.i use a six strand 24 inches long for both rabbits and hares i know that a good friend of mine uses a 26 inch noose just for hares to good effect :thumbs: oh and just so you know iv snared hundreds of brown and blue mountain hares so i can speak from experience :yes:

Thanks for the information. I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, but being 100% new to snares, I tried to make it clear I didn't have any experience.

When I say new to snaring, only today did I decide I wanted to start to learn about snares. The thing about the hare is from A Poacher's Handbook, I think. I remember not understanding the concept much, so spent too much time trying to work it out.

Okay cool.

I am happy to stand corrected.

This is the first day I've been interested in snaring, so I have a lot to learn. I double checked and it was from Ian Neill's The Poacher's Handbook where he says about a snare on a root tile to catch a hare.

Where would you say is the best place to start, in regards to learning to make and set snares?

lf you can find some one whos a bit clued up to show you the ropes your on a winner failing that there is a dvd on rabbit snaring available from fourteen acre which will cover all you need to know it shows you how to make set and identify runs and how to catch a few rabbits lol good luck its addictive when you start to catch so beware ;)

• Like 2