Early Starters

I got up this morning and took the pup for a ratch about before breakfast. Usual routine through the same fields but today I thought I would go a different way. when I come across a pile of wood and rotting cabbages also pumpkins that were left over from Halloween . When my pup starts to dig and whine on this old heap ,I go over and start to move some stinky rotten veg when a big old long tail jumps out my pups snaps him up with ease a quick shake and jobs a good un. We carry I and account for another one which I was pleased about as I was going for a walk and wasn't expecting owt . So after that's was done I carry on with our walk down the edge of the field which backs onto a garden centre . On the back of the garden centre they've dumped some top soil which hasn't been touch for a while and it's over grown when I spot an earth . A quick jump over the fence just to let my pup have a look lol. Anyway before I get there hes pulling and whining, I hold him on the lead and he's screaming to get in . Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't of let my pup go as I just wanted him to have a look and as he's only 8 months . So I had to pull him back , then back home for some breakfast . I'm very pleased with him a proper bright and bold pup that was gifted to me for gratis by a good terrier man . I think I'm going to have a job to hold him back until he's old enough ! Sorry for the long post but I've had a good morning and I thought I'd share lol .

• Like 10

stay away from earths ,--- stick a coller on him if he`s off the lead on walks, find him plenty of rats to go at, and enjoy when the time comes :thumbs: heard of em that keen they`ve had to go at 9 months ...

lol cheers for that stig he was on a lead mate when I went to have a look at the earth . In my youth I would've made them mistakes but I'm a bit to long in the tooth now . Just enjoying having a keen youngster and ratching about with him !
  • Like 1

Cheers lads ! At the moment he comes with me everywhere . He's been on a few digs with me and mates and watched the other dogs graft tied up close by , but we've got all the the time in the world no rush ! I know its early doors and at the moment it means fcuk all but you know when you can tell a pup ain't going to be hard work and everything he does comes easy lol I'm going to stop now before I jinx myself and it all goes tits up?

• Like 1

stay away from earths ,--- stick a coller on him if he`s off the lead on walks, find him plenty of rats to go at, and enjoy when the time comes :thumbs: heard of em that keen they`ve had to go at 9 months ...

lol cheers for that stig he was on a lead mate when I went to have a look at the earth . In my youth I would've made them mistakes but I'm a bit to long in the tooth now . Just enjoying having a keen youngster and ratching about with him !

it was tongue in cheek marshman ;)

it was tongue in cheek marshman ;)
lol oops sorry mate ? good advice all the same !

Start them when they want to start,will only gain them experience and education.let the dog do what it wants.and it will only get better.my old dog here started at 7 months just easy stuff and had 22 to 12 months old.i used to get rid if not going by 12 but all the line was early stuff,saying that I gave away a few that turned into good ones but it was just how I was. Let the dog do what he is bred to do when he wants to do it,otherwise by the time he is 18 months and you enter him he won't have any education on what's gona happen and will end up laid up for a cpl weeks of jack..just my opinion.

Start them when they want to start,will only gain them experience and education.let the dog do what it wants.and it will only get better.my old dog here started at 7 months just easy stuff and had 22 to 12 months old.i used to get rid if not going by 12 but all the line was early stuff,saying that I gave away a few that turned into good ones but it was just how I was. Let the dog do what he is bred to do when he wants to do it,otherwise by the time he is 18 months and you enter him he won't have any education on what's gona happen and will end up laid up for a cpl weeks of jack..just my opinion.

fair play mate a valid point of view as I too like my dogs to show interest early. It's a fine line between letting a young un do what he's been bred to do or maybe over matching him . He's time will come and hopefully it'll be in a place of my choosing were he shouldn't have any problems. And fingers crossed at the back end of this season I'll let him have a look ?.

I've seen a good few dogs of a certain line dug to over the last couple of years and they all self enter at around 8 months, IMO I think it's far too early to start a dog but it doesn't seem to do these dogs any harm.

The main rule I go by with pups is to keep them winning, it's far too easy to ruin a dog through your own over confidence.