Best Ferreting Shovel

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best spade I have owned, had it over 10 seasons Folders or these little things don't hold a candle to this sort of spade.  

We used to take a bar with us,,, or rather one of the lads that came out with me did,,, he had a round mouth shovel that this bar attached to the back of,,, so you carried it all in one,,,, we used it

Bloody hell don't you guys have enough kit to carry around with you without having a selection of shovels and an iron bar...

Posted Images

The trouble with folding ones is... they fold, usually at the first sign of a deep dig or hard ground. Whilst the bulldogs are a great spade, they`re only useful on shallow digs because as soon as you go over spade length, the blade isn't angled enough to remove much soil. Great for making a hole bigger, you`ll just need something to get the soil out the with.

The trouble with folding ones is... they fold, usually at the first sign of a deep dig or hard ground. Whilst the bulldogs are a great spade, they`re only useful on shallow digs because as soon as you go over spade length, the blade isn't angled enough to remove much soil. Great for making a hole bigger, you`ll just need something to get the soil out the with.

Poundland matey..one of them plastic scoops perfect for emptying out the holes...you wanna see me with one in each hand..lol.

Always used a short handled, angled, and pointed spade, from tool station I think. The head snapped yesterday after 2/3 seasons graft. Like to carry that, with a bigger posting shovel in the car. A probe and a flat headed bar are very useful, as is a folding saw!

I have a Spear & Jackson general purpose round mouth with fiberglass shaft and forged iron head. They don't seem to make it anymore but this is similar but with a more traditional ash shaft.

http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/product/strapped-shovels/strapped-square-mouth-no2-shovel

It's utterly bomb proof! I've drilled 10mm hole through each foot plate which I clip a dog lead through and loop the othe end round the handle. Sling it over your back no bother and real comfy.

I've never got on with little 'rabbiting' type shovels, a lot of fannying around in a small hole. Get a reasonable size thing and just dig a bigger hole, takes no longer and far more practical imo.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

I have a Spear & Jackson general purpose round mouth with fiberglass shaft and forged iron head. They don't seem to make it anymore but this is similar but with a more traditional ash shaft.

http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/product/strapped-shovels/strapped-square-mouth-no2-shovel

It's utterly bomb proof! I've drilled 10mm hole through each foot plate which I clip a dog lead through and loop the othe end round the handle. Sling it over your back no bother and real comfy.

I've never got on with little 'rabbiting' type shovels, a lot of fannying around in a small hole. Get a reasonable size thing and just dig a bigger hole, takes no longer and far more practical imo.

That looks good mate.

this 1 works for me small and light :thumbs:h 044.jpg

I can second this.

It's the roughneck round point micro shovel. 27" and £12.99 from screwfix.

I can't tell you how many times I was laughed at or lads took the piss when I took it out of the boot last season and so far this season.

But I can't fault it. I'm a heavy handed f****r and I've got a knack of breaking cheap tools. But this has been spot on and it's had some use. Dug 4-5 foot with it at least 10 times and loads of 2-3 foot digs.

• Like 1

this 1 works for me small and light :thumbs:h 044.jpg

I can second this.

It's the roughneck round point micro shovel. 27" and £12.99 from screwfix.

I can't tell you how many times I was laughed at or lads took the piss when I took it out of the boot last season and so far this season.

But I can't fault it. I'm a heavy handed f****r and I've got a knack of breaking cheap tools. But this has been spot on and it's had some use. Dug 4-5 foot with it at least 10 times and loads of 2-3 foot digs.

Your like me then mate. LOL Cheers

That looks like it would suit me perfect or at least until I decided if I want to spend the extra money on a bulldog spade.

This is the reason I got it. Just to tide me over while I decided what money to spend on a good one.

And I've still got it :laugh:

Honestly can't fault it.

That looks like it would suit me perfect or at least until I decided if I want to spend the extra money on a bulldog spade.

This is the reason I got it. Just to tide me over while I decided what money to spend on a good one.

And I've still got it :laugh:

Honestly can't fault it.

LOL I might end up exactly like you. IF I get a good few seasons out of it I will be more than happy tbh. I might even just replace it with the same kind if I really jell with it :D

• Like 1