Sire For My Greyhound Bitch.

putting a greyhound to a lurcher is a big gamble .to much whippet or greyhound in the sire will add to the fifty percent on the greyhounds side resulting in thin bone weak feet lack of stamina .lack of brains.putting a cxg to her will result in reduction of physhical power stamina and brains as only quarter collie blood will be present .the best course of action is to put a good strong hill collie to her .you will have pups with good feet good coat great stamina and plenty of brains .if not collie. labrador or gsd would be suitable.putting a saluki to her will give you stamina and speed but very little brain power and no coat.if you are only useing the dog for light work.then a good strong working whippet would produce some fast pups .tho you will have the problem of a very thin coat.i personally would not waste my time and money on useing a lurcher as a sire or a long dog saluki whippett deerhound etc as they are not capable of passing on any of the brains bone or coat of a collie labrador or gsd because they have not got any of these traits to pass on.lurchers are supposed to look like lurchers not like greyhounds which most modern lurchers do.useing a lurcher with bits of this and bits of that in a lurcher is a waste of time

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why would you HAVE to go back to a pure greyhound?? Why not a 3/4 bred or a line bred coursing dog?? A greyhound brings nothing to the table except speed imo. I would sacrifice a little speed every ti

Put in the miles and ask cleanspade if you can use his wheaten whippet

A greyhound should only be used to start a base. ie first x. After that lurcher to lurcher imo

Posted Images

putting a greyhound to a lurcher is a big gamble .to much whippet or greyhound in the sire will add to the fifty percent on the greyhounds side resulting in thin bone weak feet lack of stamina .lack of brains.putting a cxg to her will result in reduction of physhical power stamina and brains as only quarter collie blood will be present .the best course of action is to put a good strong hill collie to her .you will have pups with good feet good coat great stamina and plenty of brains .if not collie. labrador or gsd would be suitable.putting a saluki to her will give you stamina and speed but very little brain power and no coat.if you are only useing the dog for light work.then a good strong working whippet would produce some fast pups .tho you will have the problem of a very thin coat.i personally would not waste my time and money on useing a lurcher as a sire or a long dog saluki whippett deerhound etc as they are not capable of passing on any of the brains bone or coat of a collie labrador or gsd because they have not got any of these traits to pass on.lurchers are supposed to look like lurchers not like greyhounds which most modern lurchers do.useing a lurcher with bits of this and bits of that in a lurcher is a waste of time

The bitch he intends to breed from is a greyhound, with that in mind I can't see how putting a collie/grey to her would result in a "lack of stamina and brains as only a quarter collie blood will be present". Putting a collie grey onto her would increase the stamina and brains in the mix surely?

breeding out off a greyhound in this day an age is a mistake full stop imho

• Like 1

Some of the best lurchers i have seen have been bred " with bits of this and bits of that " in them. Breeding lurchers is not as simple as doing equations, so saying only having a quarter collie will reduce the brains, stamina etc. is not strictly true, because genes do not mix like that. If breeding lurchers was that easy we would all have world beaters.

tote .cxg x g will have some coat and will have plenty of speed .some will be fairly clever.the cxg first cross tho will have a lot more coat stamina and brains.most lurcher to lurcher crosses do not make the grade.hardigging i canott see how breeding out of a greyhound is a mistake they are the base line of any good lurcher .i would never breed out of anything but a good greyhound bitch .talt some of the worse excuses for a lurcher i have ever seen are lurcher to lurcher crosses putting a bitsa dog to a greyhound is muddying the waters .go first cross then you know whaht you have got .go lurcher to lurcher and anything could come out .sometimes you see ads like beddyxwhippet cross deerhound greyhound xsaluki whippet x bull greyhound x greyhound to many mixes .generally speaking results in weak thin boned thin coated dogs most of thier parents have not been properly tested in the field.when i am at a lurcher show nowdays i wonder whether i have gone to romford dog track by mistake .most of the lurchers are so greyhoundy

tote .cxg x g will have some coat and will have plenty of speed .some will be fairly clever.

putting a cxg to her will result in reduction of physhical power stamina and brains as only quarter collie blood will be present

Can you see the contradiction in the above ledburn?

• Like 1