Working Airedale Terriers

foxhound45

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Post is to clarify that Airedales are being worked in the field today here in Northern Ireland and I aim to outline their function within the pack.   In N.I./R.O.I. the "Working Airedale" is cl

only pics i have of my airedales all redline us bloodlines

None of my dogs have papers, this was not planned it just is how it is.   I have my own view on KC registered dogs:   Yes, there are KC lines that show less of the raw hunting instincts that we re

Posted Images

Hot Meat, on 25 Nov 2013 - 2:03 PM, said:

pmul how do you enter your airdales? do you start them young? alone? is there any faults you find common in there temps?

I start my Airedales as pups running with my beagles. When they show me that they are keen to hunt I progress them onto bigger stuff................

My Jack dog started running bear at about 18 month. I surrounded him with experienced dogs, in the hope that he wouldn't get into any trouble. Then little by little ran him with less dogs until he was running with one hound and getting a lot closer to the action.........

As for temperament, they are a terrier, so you have to watch them around other dogs, until they are thru the "teenage years" lol............I don't put up with any dog aggression.

They are a handy dog to have around.

hi all just a question what would the airdale be like as a drawing dog thanks

Would really depend on the dog its self and the way you entered it.........best draw dog I ever had was a lurcher.

Think of a 60lb Lakeland.............some will work out, some will be crap.......

sorry for pickin your brain lol but do you think they comparable to a big lakeland? its just that i get on well with lakies and use lakie and lakie collies for what i do, i find lakies real clever driven dogs that i can use for difrrent jobs, and the collie adds more thinking and also reinforces a lot of other traits

Hot Meat, on 25 Nov 2013 - 3:25 PM, said:

sorry for pickin your brain lol but do you think they comparable to a big lakeland? its just that i get on well with lakies and use lakie and lakie collies for what i do, i find lakies real clever driven dogs that i can use for difrrent jobs, and the collie adds more thinking and also reinforces a lot of other traits

The good ones do................

• Like 1

Oh dear, same old same old. :laugh: I'm happy with my Airedale, that's all that matters to me. She does what I want in a country where there are no large game to hunt and there are laws which must be seen to be abided by. And no, I won't be advertising any pups now, soon or in the future. Sorry to disappoint you PMul.

Some one has to sell pups...........

I just don't like bullshit.............

Tell it straight, no miss direction.

Good luck with your Airedale and any future pups.

I have spent a lifetime doing my very best not to bullshit. Why would I start now? The truth will always find out a liar in the end, and I have nothing to prove. As someone who wishes she'd found the working Airedale decades ago, but who is still as enthusiastic about hunting my dogs as I ever was, I only want to promote what the Airedale can do, in my very limited capacity over here in the UK.

• Like 1

I thought it was probably about time I wrote something for the board, rather than just lurk for the most part so here goes!

First a little background...............

I live in an area filled with just about every critter God created.........wolf,cougar,lynx,moose,deer,black bear and the occasional grizzly just to name a few.

I also live within 5kl of the local regional landfill. I consider this to be one huge bait pile! lol.

I currently feed three walker hounds (Luke,Larry and Belle) three beagles (Poacher, Dan and Fatso) and two Airedales(Lexi and Blackjack).

I contract to Fish and Wildlife for problem wildlife calls(bear and cougar) and to the oil and gas industry for problem bears on site.

What a summer so far!

My dogs have seen more bear this year than in any two years previously.

I have had the opportunity to work my dogs several times this summer, on what we call a hard release.

This involves trapping a problem bear, transporting to a remote release location, then upon release, mark(paintball) and haze the bear with my dogs.

This is an excellent way to get young dogs started but can be fraught with danger as some of these bears are aggressive and don't want to be "hazed" lol.

As well as these duty call outs, I take my dogs, usually Jack, Bell and Lexi on most of my quad / back country fishing trips, which often involves a trail or two close to the local bait site............I mean landfill site. Usually ending the day with run and a tree, and one more notch in the belt for my crew.

We are having lots of fun with the bears this year..............here's hoping for an equally good winter on the big cats!

• Like 1