Working Airedale Terriers

foxhound45

4 hours ago, old school said:

Rock creek Airedale’s (redline) replied back to a post I left on Facebook and there’s quarantine rules in place for rabies that means the pup could be nearly 6 months old before it passes all the tests and would be ready to leave... they didn’t have the facilities to hold pups for that long and recommended buying a grown dog... cost wasn’t mentioned but if it’s anything like the jag terriers that lads import from Serbia I’d say you’ll spend a cool grand! 

2F53193A-6420-4F45-A310-3D26909C1F0B.png

Old school I thought the pet passport helped change that and the max time was about three months for the states and non eu countries? That's a bit shit if still 6 months ain't it!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Post is to clarify that Airedales are being worked in the field today here in Northern Ireland and I aim to outline their function within the pack.   In N.I./R.O.I. the "Working Airedale" is cl

only pics i have of my airedales all redline us bloodlines

None of my dogs have papers, this was not planned it just is how it is.   I have my own view on KC registered dogs:   Yes, there are KC lines that show less of the raw hunting instincts that we re

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Criss86 said:

Is it true that the airedale terrier was the most popular guard dog in the UK and one of around the world and used by the police and army before the shepherds? I read about there role in ww2 if I remember rightly there was an airedale that played a major part running information on the front line that was shot and battered, broken bones etc but kept going until it got to where it was sent then collapsed on arrival and died. Was this true and would those of been the same type used in the field of another strain of the breed solely for guard/police work? 

Depends what the job is . A good patterdale would work with broken bones with no issue. What would an Airedale bring that other breeds are not better at 

1 hour ago, jiggy said:

Depends what the job is . A good patterdale would work with broken bones with no issue. What would an Airedale bring that other breeds are not better at 

Was only asking about the breed and wondering if the police/army dogs used would b the same as the line used in the field as they sounded a great guard dog with a lot of courage and drive while being handy around a farm. I couldn't think they'd b any better than other terriers especially with there size stopping them going to ground etc. Fair play to the man for keeping a once popular breed going instead of losing it completely! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Criss86 said:

Old school I thought the pet passport helped change that and the max time was about three months for the states and non eu countries? That's a bit shit if still 6 months ain't it!

as long as it has passport and all vaccination are up to date there wont be any quarantine as a mate just went to us to compete in psa there and back to problem

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Criss86 said:

Was only asking about the breed and wondering if the police/army dogs used would b the same as the line used in the field as they sounded a great guard dog with a lot of courage and drive while being handy around a farm. I couldn't think they'd b any better than other terriers especially with there size stopping them going to ground etc. Fair play to the man for keeping a once popular breed going instead of losing it completely! 

Handsome looking dog but drawing game is illegal now and as for hunting cover an average foxhound line bred for hundreds of years would be better. As for police/army work a Belgian malinois would beat them in every area. That's not to say there isn't any workers about but form has over taken function and the show ring has destroyed another breed. Kerry blues are another example. Dog aggressive and sometimes human aggression but put them to work at what they were originally bred for and they jack. Full of piss and wind because their good looks put them in the hands of the wrong people but they look good in a park jumping out of the back of a Range Rover to show status.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, jiggy said:

Handsome looking dog but drawing game is illegal now and as for hunting cover an average foxhound line bred for hundreds of years would be better. As for police/army work a Belgian malinois would beat them in every area. That's not to say there isn't any workers about but form has over taken function and the show ring has destroyed another breed. Kerry blues are another example. Dog aggressive and sometimes human aggression but put them to work at what they were originally bred for and they jack. Full of piss and wind because their good looks put them in the hands of the wrong people but they look good in a park jumping out of the back of a Range Rover to show status.

It happens way to much to good breeds don't it. I can't remember why it said about them being replace as a police/army dog most probe just got outshone! Must of been hand to have a working police dog that you could take out on the hunting on your days off. Shame they got used for the ring and lost there traits. Did the fox smooth, wired hair not get ruined by the kc as well? 

3 hours ago, Criss86 said:

It happens way to much to good breeds don't it. I can't remember why it said about them being replace as a police/army dog most probe just got outshone! Must of been hand to have a working police dog that you could take out on the hunting on your days off. Shame they got used for the ring and lost there traits. Did the fox smooth, wired hair not get ruined by the kc as well? 

I've seen a pair of fox terriers that an old boy had. If I called to his house they would eat your ankles off. Horrible evil little things they were. Show them work and they wouldn't do 10 minutes before jacking. They were aggressive because of fear and not courage and unsure of themselves. A good digging dog would be easy kennel and be relaxed enough to trust you without that false courage. Never seen an ankle biter that would work game properly and most of them wouldn't bite until you turn your back and then they would grab your heal because they are afraid to do it face on.?

• Like 1