Working Airedale Terriers

foxhound45

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Post is to clarify that Airedales are being worked in the field today here in Northern Ireland and I aim to outline their function within the pack.   In N.I./R.O.I. the "Working Airedale" is cl

only pics i have of my airedales all redline us bloodlines

None of my dogs have papers, this was not planned it just is how it is.   I have my own view on KC registered dogs:   Yes, there are KC lines that show less of the raw hunting instincts that we re

Posted Images

Ian that is beautiful pack of dogs.

Tell me this, do you work your dogs as a flushing pack, or do you have dogs in particular that you work singularly?

I may have a bit of breakthrough as I believe there is someone on here called Captain from Co. Sligo (Ireland) that has traditional working Airedales. My plan is to run a pack of about 6 of them like a hound pack, basically increasing the number and genetic diversity if the ones I originally hold.

I have had an Airedale breeder from Co. Antrim discuss stud but it is looking at about £500 which to me says dog breeder, so I will hold off on that one for now.

The condition of your dogs is an absolute credit to you, and what you mention about the Redline and Traditional being from the same genetic lines makes perfect sense when I look a the photos. It makes me wonder why literature exists stating that Redlines have bull terrier blood, where does this information stem from? I heard a thing called the four corner theory, where if you think of four corners of a square, the Heavily Coated Oorang type in one corner and the opposite corner the sleek Redline, so that leaves two other types of coat.

Do you know of anyone working Airedales besides yourself and Penny, potentially as a pack for foxes? Or as a deer tracking dog?

no offence pal.......

Tell me this, do you work your dogs as a flushing pack, or do you have dogs in particular that you work singularly?

I may have a bit of breakthrough as I believe there is someone on here called Captain from Co. Sligo (Ireland) that has traditional working Airedales. My plan is to run a pack of about 6 of them like a hound pack, basically increasing the number and genetic diversity if the ones I originally hold.

I have had an Airedale breeder from Co. Antrim discuss stud but it is looking at about £500 which to me says dog breeder, so I will hold off on that one for now.

The condition of your dogs is an absolute credit to you, and what you mention about the Redline and Traditional being from the same genetic lines makes perfect sense when I look a the photos. It makes me wonder why literature exists stating that Redlines have bull terrier blood, where does this information stem from? I heard a thing called the four corner theory, where if you think of four corners of a square, the Heavily Coated Oorang type in one corner and the opposite corner the sleek Redline, so that leaves two other types of coat.

Do you know of anyone working Airedales besides yourself and Penny, potentially as a pack for foxes? Or as a deer tracking dog?

no offence pal......... but you sound like a nutter.

Edited by hawki
  • Like 2

no offence pal.......

Ian that is beautiful pack of dogs. Tell me this, do you work your dogs as a flushing pack, or do you have dogs in particular that you work singularly? I may have a bit of breakthrough as I believe there is someone on here called Captain from Co. Sligo (Ireland) that has traditional working Airedales. My plan is to run a pack of about 6 of them like a hound pack, basically increasing the number and genetic diversity if the ones I originally hold. I have had an Airedale breeder from Co. Antrim discuss stud but it is looking at about £500 which to me says dog breeder, so I will hold off on that one for now. The condition of your dogs is an absolute credit to you, and what you mention about the Redline and Traditional being from the same genetic lines makes perfect sense when I look a the photos. It makes me wonder why literature exists stating that Redlines have bull terrier blood, where does this information stem from? I heard a thing called the four corner theory, where if you think of four corners of a square, the Heavily Coated Oorang type in one corner and the opposite corner the sleek Redline, so that leaves two other types of coat. Do you know of anyone working Airedales besides yourself and Penny, potentially as a pack for foxes? Or as a deer tracking dog?

PMSL :laugh:

I was about tweleve the last time I had an Airedale bit older now.. my dad always had one

and my granddad, I can remember being told they were welsh terrier crossed with otter hound, also they were

dog of choice in WW2 due to there immense courage, the last male one I can remember we had "jody" was excellent with

kids ultra protective. I can remember two red setters invadeing his territory once toatal carnage red fur every were.

this post fetched a few memories back ! he was really wooly and would actually sulk when clipped out.

Turning an exceptional trackiing dog into a drawing dog, or vice versa takes years so if you have space in your kennels for this dog and have a pack with which the dog can work with then I promise you this breed will not let you down.

Lol.

They have good noses, without a pack behind them most would rather walk away, or skip around baying. :)

They have good noses, without a pack behind them most would rather walk away, or skip around baying. :)

:hmm::blink: I must admit I've only had experience of one Airedale, but that definitely isn't the case with mine, but of course I've not tried her on boar, bear or cougar. I doubt anyone would want their dog to go one on one with something that large, but smaller, toothed quarry is a walk in the park for my bitch, though it must be said that she's not fast enough to catch one s/h in the open.

no offence pal.......

100% correct mate iv never heard as much bo******* pmsl

you going to answer my questions yet foxhound