Crazy Ferrets

Guys got 2 ferrets and they are only 4 months old ,they have been out rabbiting and they have worked well but it's come to a point o go down to pick them up from the hole and they just will not come out , they just keep running down the hole again , it's real annoying i was stood by a warren the other day for about 1.5 hours it was a joke you guys got any ideas,they always get handled and looked after real well the other i have is really good she is about 3 years old when she has worked the warren she comes out and waits to be picked up.

i have tried the dead rabbit and it works but i didn't have one the other day,sods law that's why i was waiting for ages , i think they will have to be brought out in a few months your right ,also i do have one jills who is great , great worker and she waits when she comes out ,i thin k you are right they are a bit immature at the moment .

Thanks for your help guys .

• Like 1

i got a few i bred same age as yours and there as mad as a box of frogs . they will calm down in time just be patient i have had a few like this while they are young. i let them runaround and play in the garage and pick them up gently walk around them etc. in a few months time you will see a difference. :thumbs:

Any time you have a spare ten minutes etc run them threw a pipe in your garden ,make a bit of noise move your feet and only move slowly to pick them up when they are completely out the pipe, you keep snatching at them and teasing them out with a dead rabbit will just cause problems later mate

Any time you have a spare ten minutes etc run them threw a pipe in your garden ,make a bit of noise move your feet and only move slowly to pick them up when they are completely out the pipe, you keep snatching at them and teasing them out with a dead rabbit will just cause problems later mate

Cheers for that mate

I personally think you started them to early mate, everyone starts them when they think they are ready some young, some old but i tend to wait till there about 7-8 month of age! from what you are saying they are playful (immature), or maybe scared, as i have came across this with some of my mates ferrets. try and approach the hole very slow, even get on your knees, try and pick them up slow aswell that might help! atb brad.

They would be having too much fun to risk being lifted haha. Also they can be skittish when out, especially kits, a sudden move can send them for the hole if they cant tell it's you. If mine are being funny I'll talk to them and move in slow so they know it's me then let them sniff my hand before trying to lift them.

They're young mate as said... everytime you feed them, make the same noise I make a squeaking sound, handle them once theyve had a bit of feed making a sound, let them associate you and the sound plus food as all good things, when your out make the same sound and they will be less skitty, as they get older they will come to the sound which is useful on thick hedges if they're up on top