MY OPPINION ...?

.22 for hunting

.177 for targets/plinking

I will still hunt with .177 as the woodpigeon I shot today found out :D

but I think .22 is better as it does more damage so if you slightly miss your intended shot placement it will have more chance of a clean kill.

but yeah .22 are more expensive so if your going to waste 500 pellets shooting metal or paper might aswell cost £7-£9 rather than £12-£14 .. saves quite a bit of dollar in the long run lol. and if you love plinking as much as me then that's a good idea!!

If your wanting a S400 you will get a few more shots in .22 compared to .177 so if your lazy and cant be arsed filling it up as much then get a .22 :laugh:

personal view really I have 22 and 177 but much much more prefer 177 for general hunting all comes down to what you like best and 177 pellets are cheaper :D

comes with having to place that "cheaper" pellet in the right place though.

personal view really I have 22 and 177 but much much more prefer 177 for general hunting all comes down to what you like best and 177 pellets are cheaper :D

comes with having to place that "cheaper" pellet in the right place though.

rws in 177 is about 70p cheaper than 22 and if you spend a lot of time plinking as me 70p adds up and if your talking about placing that pellet in the right place then surely it doesn't matter what cal your using

Edited by hugo1

177 is the easier option imo on the cross hair for longer shots. only downside is the wind affects it more and they are a bit fiddlier to load. all the talk of 177 for feather 22 for fur seems like nonsense to me. a 177 in the brain kills the same as 22.

This .177 vs .22 debate could, and will, go on forever.

Each to their own!

neither is better, neither is worse.

just like, Springer vs pcp argument- both have pros and cons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use both for hunting .22 daytime .177 at night but using a Daystate heavy pellet 10 .3gr , found lighter pellet is affected by the wind and the heavies have a lot more knock down .

If I had to chose one it would be .22.

some may say .20 but with lighter pellets In .22 and heavy pellets in.177 , IMO the .20 are a waste of time for that reason.

Hope that makes sense now fry :thumbs:

Edited by villaman
  • Like 1

I use both for hunting .22 daytime .177 at night but using a Daystate heavy pellet 10 .3gr , found lighter pellet is affected by the wind and the heavies have a lot more knock down .

If I had to chose one it would be .22.

some may say .20 but with lighter pellets In .22 and heavy pellets in.177 , IMO the .20 are a waste of time for that reason.

Hope that makes sense now fry :thumbs:

haha yeah but for a minute i never realized you had edited it1 an was thinking to my self eh i must of read it wrong it does make sense lol