milo

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Il take her for a fortnight mate no problem! Give me a ring tomorrow 07864699821 home- 01761453450 we can have a chat mate

Harris hawks are vocal animals pr more than imprints! Believe it it's true being vocal doesn't mean the falconer has done anything wrong some are just vocal remember they are a pack animal! I like my

Sorry to hear that. Accidents happen,a couple of years back I somehow hadn't fastened a kennel door and my pointer killed my old terrier. I swear this is the only time I haven't closed a pen door in

Posted Images

I didn't want to post on it all as I'm slightly depressed to be honest, I text crow a few days back letting him know the outcome.

I decided to send her to my mates not far away to see if a change of scene would do the trick,on sat last I arranged to collect her so being only a few mins from my place my mate decided to bow her out ready for me to come and collect,

Only problem was his son came back with the terriers and on getting to the front gate had left them off (son not knowing) my hawk was on bow in back garden !

When I arrived the terriers ( 3 ) of them had killed her..

Obviously it was an accident and how can I shout at a 14 year old Kidd as he didn't know the hawk was on bow !

For the past 4 days I've wondered where it all went wrong around & around in my head feel lost going up the sheds and not hearing bells,or setting my day up with going bout just flying,and Sunday ohhh was such a depressing day for me weather was good plenty to go at and no hawk !

I've washed all the mews out today and all my equipment and decided to store bit awawy I just fell beaten,

Since loosing my best hawk last Xmas day its just been a mess its all gone to Rat Shit.

Sorry to hear that.

Accidents happen,a couple of years back I somehow hadn't fastened a kennel door and my pointer killed my old terrier. I swear this is the only time I haven't closed a pen door in over twenty years of kenneling dogs. I didn't realize it had happened at first when I went past the yard but when I didn't see the terrier I had a horrible feeling and found his smashed up body in the pointers box. I had to go into the house to calm down because I wanted to kill the other dog. Things like this can come from a moments carelessness. Up to that point I believed such a thing would never happen to me, that I was too organised, too careful and had a fool proof kennel block and set up in place.

Personally I would hunt with others this season and start fresh next year.After the year you've had if you rush out and get another hawk and it has any problems it might sicken you completely to the point of no return.

• Like 2

Pointer I absolutely totally agree with you,my wife was just as upset as me,I think she's seen me try my hardest since last Christmas ! And she was throwing me off the kitchen table every morning & afternoon as I would write down and update my hawking diary and she knew how much it meant to me..

I keep on looking at bird trader & other bird sites and just read adverts thinking shall I or not..

Its been a terrible year hunting wise,between the hawks and the terrier & lurcher teams not turning up on certain days just had enough of it all..

I'll see what happens in the next few months and if I still miss the thrill of my Sunday mornings hawking then I'll be looking for a genuine harris hawk breeder NOT BIG NAMES but something out of working stock and I'll be having a male never a female again.

Sorry to hear that,

If it was me i would take the rest of the season off, maybe take up some other fieldsport to pass the time, through the summer make new ferret hutches, aviary a lick of paint, buy new equipment and start a fresh with a new bird. At least then you have a clear focus of what you want to achieve for the season, a few months off might be what is needed to rekindle the flame so to speak :victory:

That's what I'm going to do mate,I have enough to carry on with with the terriers & lurchers anyway but every sat & Sunday was like a ritual with getting out hawking,I have decidedbthat once my old terrier goes I'll have no more and I have one old lurcher here 14 and he won't be replaced either so I'll be down to just a very small pack,I'll be able to get even more hours in on the glove then.

I'll rip down all the plastic sheets in the mews and may even re design it all beg of the summer,but it will give me a chance to re group/re gather and re think ''so to speak''

• Like 1

That's what I'm going to do mate,I have enough to carry on with with the terriers & lurchers anyway but every sat & Sunday was like a ritual with getting out hawking,I have decidedbthat once my old terrier goes I'll have no more and I have one old lurcher here 14 and he won't be replaced either so I'll be down to just a very small pack,I'll be able to get even more hours in on the glove then.

I'll rip down all the plastic sheets in the mews and may even re design it all beg of the summer,but it will give me a chance to re group/re gather and re think ''so to speak''

Thats what id do mate, fresh bird, fresh aviary, ferret hutches the lot. Get yourself a catty to pass the time lol, endless fun.

And I booked 3 weeks off with the company starts DEC 14th..I booked this back in July as I thought I'd get some quality time in with the hawk & ferrets ! Can't change it now either,wouldn't have minded but in 8 years running the company I've never taken any leave !

And I booked 3 weeks off with the company starts DEC 14th..I booked this back in July as I thought I'd get some quality time in with the hawk & ferrets ! Can't change it now either,wouldn't have minded but in 8 years running the company I've never taken any leave !

God couldn't have 3 weeks off sat on my arse lol, get that air rifle bought ha

• Like 1