Please Recommend A Jacket

Hi folks,

I'm in desperate need of a new jacket to suit my needs. This would mainly be used for ferreting (crawling in and out of hedges) and beating (again crawling through copses and hedges!). What are your recommendations and if possible some real field tests by yourselves (the good and the bad). Price is an issue so up to mid range (only the shooters on our shoot have the money).

Regards

Chris

i used to have a wax jacket for ferreting but i outgrew it and bought a cheap ex issue dpm jacket thinking when this wears out i'll get another wax,for what you are after i think a wax jacket would be fine,they keep you warm and are wind/water proof and stand up to the thorns and twigs really well,they weigh a bit but when i need to replace mine i'll be looking at another one anyway....

Edited by random

Cheers Random,

Yes, it is the blackthorn and barbwire in the hedges that is the pain round here. I use an ex issue dpm myself but its not waterproof and I do end up snagging it a lo but its adequate on a dry day. My old wax (sort of) jacket was a cheap copy (not a Barbour by any standards) and this is now got gaping holes and tears throughout so maybe I need to look at a real Barbour next time.

Does anyone know much about the Deerhunter jackets?

Regards

Chris

Cheers fellows,

That looks worthy of a check out and many thanks for the link.

I did go and look at the new Barbours and nearly had a heart attack at their price now, would need a second mortgage to go along with my Chelsea tractor!

Regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Can't fault deerhunter I have a deerhunter ram jacket it's medium weight wind and water proof plenty pockets and very hard wearing I've had mine 7 year and the only let down so far is the zip broke on the top chest pocket, I use mine for lamping ferreting fishing walking the dogs and sometimes work, the last time I looked they were about £130 but well worth it

Rc1

II have a few ridgline jackets and for the price they are good they can be a bit sweaty at the start of the season but when its colder they are decent but you will be dry from the rain ....the monsoon is a jacket for all occasions and still smart enough for shoot days ...I used to like the river west stuff but ive 3 jackets I never wear now since going to ridgeline