Seriously Looking Into Falconary

Bells face

Ahhhh messing that's the place I couldn't think what that place was called we built a house out there about 15 year ago, so was trying to rack me brain lol know exactly where you mean know. Cheers for looking that up for me :-) ur a star! I'm gonna go have a nice look round there the wkend then. Dedham right nice area mate so bet u miss that. There must be loads of land round that way. Thanks again bud and ill let u know when I've had a good look at the place. Atb

• Like 1

Any other questions feel free to pm me....I have a good contact for Harris hawks if thats what you are after, in kent, small scale breeding,but very good.....

Edited by Accip74

Right another question, boring i know but just looking for best advice. Does anyone recommend any falconary books or DVDs that that have found useful to them??? Atb also thinking of doing a weeks falconary course. Do ppl think this will be benifcial or not really. Look forward to ur responses :-) cheers

Exactly,waste of money, you have access to a harris so learn the basics, read plenty....you can't go wrong with hollinshead regarding harris hawks......harris hawks give the impression of being very forgiving, but if you don't get things right, they can show it in all kinds of subtle ways, hollinshead put this into words brilliantly.

The old classics are good, but don't get too bogged down with stuff like 'glacier', different time, different class, they'll make you think you need thousands of acres & everyday to hunt, like they did.....but yeh read as much as possible & make your own mind up.

If you already have 'field craft' & hunting know how.....that's half the battle

Ok Thought u guys would say that about falconry lessons lol thought they would be a waste but just asked. On the off chance that they may be any good! I'll give hollinshead a look mate sound interesting. Yes I've got access father in laws harris weekends. And I have been learning the basics so ill keep watching and learning :-). Atb lads thanks for u advice

• Like 1

I have met some bloody awful falconers ( sorry would be falconers) and if they mentored me ( as some falconers like to be a teacher as it makes them feel important) on my first bird it would fly away or be dead within a week!

Many find a falconer and think 'Yeah' he has a HH i will ask...

I taught some of myself by books and i have yet over many many years to loose a bird but you also do need that on hands experience too but join the BHA and they will probably no who to put you in contact with not 'harry the harris hawker' from the high street

Hello fox hole, thank you for your advise I will defo take on board what u are saying. I will look into the bha. Ike I have said before I do have my father in law to advise me a little as he has a harris hawk, and he has kept numerous bop like gos hawks barn owls etc, but I'm sure he doesn't know it all. So I looking for all the advise I can get :-). And I'm currently into my first falconry book , which I can't put down lol. I'm certainly not looking into this lightly or half hearted, And If when I'm finished learning and researching and reading, and some hands on stuff with f inlaws hh etc... I will then hopefully be able to make a more educated decision to wether or not I could a harris hawk justice. So please keep the advice coming ppl many thanks and atb

• Like 1