Starting A New Pup Advice Please

Hi new to the site and sort of new to the lurcher game I've been out plenty of times ferreting with lurchers and lamping over the years but have my first lurcher pup he is almost 7 months old dame bull cross whippet sire greyhound cross collie 19 an a half / 20" tts lovely dog will add a pic later today once I can work out how to do it what I have done so far training wise is normal sit stay retrieve (when he wants to need to keep working on it ) I've had him retrieving toys with hi viz reflectors stitched on off the lamp at distances up to 50yd ish he's been out watching my mates dogs on the lamp twice a week since beginning of oct I slipped him twice last time out once on a sitter no more than 5 yds chased 40yd an missed once an came bk next slip was with my mates dog to show him finishing the job if that's the right phrase and just some exercise before we headed home he gave chase with the other dog kept up until my mates dog turned it a couple times an he just backed off an bounded around an came bk am I starting him too early he will only have 1 or 2 runs a night until he is 8 or 9 months old then will up it accordingly have I not done enough training or should I keep at it ?please sensible comments with justification not just too early you will ruin him like I've seen on other posts many thanks to all who have took the time to read

Why not take the pup ferreting ? Let it hold a few in nets ..build it's confidence . Guaranteed success just you and the pup ...other lads may disagree but id never run a pup on the lamp doubled up on bunnies ..just find squatters and easy runs ...just enjoy the pup don't feel pressured to have the perfect lurcher by the time it's 12month ..atb with the pup

• Like 2

Hi yes I have thought about ferreting but have yet to introduce him to my ferrets as the first time I showed them to him he looked like he was going to kill it so left it for a while and as for starting early every1 I know starts at either 6 or 9 months I am awear of people waiting for a year or more but not sure of all the reasoning behind this there is no rush but I would like give him a start this winter so he know what to do rather not run in the warmer months as ground hard an puts extra pressure on the with increased heat but I'm open to all ideas so I can make an educated decision

Hi yes I have thought about ferreting but have yet to introduce him to my ferrets as the first time I showed them to him he looked like he was going to kill it so left it for a while and as for starting early every1 I know starts at either 6 or 9 months I am awear of people waiting for a year or more but not sure of all the reasoning behind this there is no rush but I would like give him a start this winter so he know what to do rather not run in the warmer months as ground hard an puts extra pressure on the with increased heat but I'm open to all ideas so I can make an educated decision

whoever started there pup at 6 months old needs to give there head a wobble. the dog is still a pup its 6 months old LET IT BE A PUP. you say your trying to teach it to sit,stay,retrive, and he does this when he wants.... and on top of learning how to do this your taking him out and slipping him on rabbits? its a bit much for a 6 month old dog if he only retrives when he wants whats going to happen when he catches his first rabbit?. that's when bad habbits start get the basics nailed before you even think about slipping him.

hold the pup back let it mature there isn't a rush the summer would be an ideal chance to get a few easy bunnies when the ground allows. next winter is when I would start throwing the graft his way.

• Like 1

Sesku why would you not run doubled up on the lamp with a pup ? My thinking is that would be a good way to show the pup or an I wrong ?

accident waiting to happen a brittle 6 month old pup running alongside a fully grown dog it only takes one sharp turn for them to come together and it could be the end before it even began.

Sesku why would you not run doubled up on the lamp with a pup ? My thinking is that would be a good way to show the pup or an I wrong ?

potential for collision and jealousy over catch ...also if your having to show it how to chase then it maybe that the pup isn't ready yet .. My last lurcher 3/4 collie grey was a slow starter compared to my current pup ..they are all different .

You say you done ferreting? Take the pup

whoever started there pup at 6 months old needs to give there head a wobble. the dog is still a pup its 6 months old LET IT BE A PUP. you say your trying to teach it to sit,stay,retrive, and he does this when he wants.... and on top of learning how to do this your taking him out and slipping him on rabbits? its a bit much for a 6 month old dog if he only retrives when he wants whats going to happen when he catches his first rabbit?. that's when bad habbits start get the basics nailed before you even think about slipping him. hold the pup back let it mature there isn't a rush the summer would be an ideal chance to get a few easy bunnies when the ground allows. next winter is when I would start throwing the graft his way.

Yes true I suppose maybe I am just too keen I just wanted an idea if he will be any good I don't plan to run much until next winter anyway just if he too slow or crap I'd rather have an idea before next winter comes as ill sort another dog I've been told there's too much bull in him so couldn't catch bugger all want to put my mind at rest that's all

some people bring pups on running with a older dog on the lamp if it works for them fair play but on the downside i have seen a pup get frustrated and start to yap each to their own.

took my pup out last week had an invite from a lad with a 3 year old sal /grey that always runs doubled up and it looked to me the dog lacked a good strike but it was fast and is used to turning quarry and the slower dogs do the catching i guess ..not what im after in a lurcher especially as i only hunt rabbit.

got to agree with sesku get it out ferreting! i have a pup here 10 weeks old and for me is going to be 90% ferreting, has been introduced to the ferrets already and has learnt that she cant nip them without expecting one back, as soon as she has had her second jab she will be out once or twice a week with me and one ferret and a couple of nets in small sets doing her basics sit stay down etc whilst the ferret works, there is no pressure on her to do anything other than watch and learn, I find it beneficial to do this training in the field while things are happening around the pup as the amount of time i have spent in the past getting a dog rock steady with sit and stay to take it out and the first rabbit that bolts all goes out of the window. I also want her to know that the ferrets are working and she is secondary if you like, the nets are there to catch and if one does miss then its her turn. if you can get your pup steady in a working enviroment then anywhere else will be a doddle, and as for the lamp once it knows what its allowed to chase and when then that will just come naturally.

Right I was always under the impression lamping was Easyer on the dog than running bunnys in daylight am I wrong ? If I shouldn't run him until he is older would it not be worse him coursing a daylight bunny that's slipped the net and already full pelt as the dog sees it instead of a bunny on the squat on the lamp that has a standing start as the dog gets to it ? Or did I miss interpret the ferreting idea and I need to keep the dog on the lead and just mouth bunnys caught in nets ?

Why not take the pup ferreting ? Let it hold a few in nets ..build it's confidence . Guaranteed success just you and the pup ...other lads may disagree but id never run a pup on the lamp doubled up on bunnies ..just find squatters and easy runs ...just enjoy the pup don't feel pressured to have the perfect lurcher by the time it's 12month ..atb with the pup

Exactly what he says