The Jagd Terrier

I have only positive things to say about them, ive hunted for them, and crosses, and friends own them, its a hunting dog. Its best used for above ground and shooting, but they do everything, elk, wildboar, deer, fox etc. They are very active and if trained properly there is rarely any problems hunting in packs. Underground i think some are too hard and some are baying in a safe distance but do the job. they have a great size but it can differ from different lines, some are really small and square and some are more leggy. some are flatheaded some are not. coat also comes in rough and smooth. its a very good hunting dog, its a multipurpose dog, but as any of these hunting terriers they have a tendency to do it for themselves too much if not raised properly and bonded with good, i like a dog that gives contact during hunting and is controllable and can still change directions and move about even during hot times and high excitement level. You buy 50% and the other 50% i think is up to the owner to form the dog to what its supposed to do.

• Like 3

I have only positive things to say about them, ive hunted for them, and crosses, and friends own them, its a hunting dog. Its best used for above ground and shooting, but they do everything, elk, wildboar, deer, fox etc. They are very active and if trained properly there is rarely any problems hunting in packs. Underground i think some are too hard and some are baying in a safe distance but do the job. they have a great size but it can differ from different lines, some are really small and square and some are more leggy. some are flatheaded some are not. coat also comes in rough and smooth. its a very good hunting dog, its a multipurpose dog, but as any of these hunting terriers they have a tendency to do it for themselves too much if not raised properly and bonded with good, i like a dog that gives contact during hunting and is controllable and can still change directions and move about even during hot times and high excitement level. You buy 50% and the other 50% i think is up to the owner to form the dog to what its supposed to do.

That last sentence is the truth the whole truth and nothing but.....Thanks theankare666. I may have to borrow that one from you.

You´re welcome, its just a sum of being around dogs and mostly hunting dogs since the age of 11. I´ve seen great dogs lost in the hands of poor ownership and ive seen decent not even decent dogs be fair hunting dogs due to good ownership/training/time and strong bond with the dog. Of any breed or purpose I always personally like a dog with an attitude that makes it easy to bond good with, cause then you can push that dog to do things it woulnt otherwise do, for you.

Yes, I think if you are on the islands a mute is what you want for mooching n underground (generally poaching), get a jagd or cross going around for 45 min to 3hrs on a cold trail full go will have the landlord etc on you in no time.

I have met though "mute" jagds, but they are of a dying sort especially since wildboar has become a main thing overhere.

Personally I think the cross jagd to patterdale is of very little importance, you´ll get a lot of split litters and I think the dogs might be udecisive what to do. The jagd to the parson is common and succesful (all parson crosses generally gives a good temperament and easy going attitude), but i think pats are best kept to the pit n staffs. Imo.

• Like 1

Here we try and focus them at an early age on drags and later tracks....We also introduce them to water early on. As they age we work on obedience, retrieving, and locating game. They tend to think they are ready to take on all comers at an early age... so we hold them back and let them mature. We free cast them like hounds.... work the rocks... and basically use them for everything. The biggest problems they have are coyotes.... and stopping dog wise hogs. Though I will say that they stick with them.... sometimes for miles and it's not unusual for them to come wandering back to camp the next day. Oddly enough it seems that the German dogs don't seem to work as well HERE.... and that for one reason or another they aren't as consistent in ability, tractability, intelligence, or even type. It would be difficult to suggest to you how you should bring on YOUR dog.... as much comes down to expectations. I will say that a REALLY good handle never hurts.... and that letting the dog fully mature before hunting it hard will result in a better chance at ending up with a good dog.

Yes, early age of course, usually just go out in the forrest and sit with the pup. I just seen a friends jagd screamin and just grab a 120lbs hog straight of, 7 months old, so they usually go early but are unwise. I can image they are in the danger zone for coyotes, like the wolf here. Dogs generally get wiser with age andthe old ones are really clever if they get to that age. There are some countries where jagds breeder association ONLY breed and accept fully proven dogs for matings. No one passes through.