Leaving A Ferret

Well went to do some ferreting tonight with mine and a mates hawk, rabbit popped out and my mates bird dove down into the hole for it scaring it back down, ferret killed in and since it was a rockset we couldnt dig him out at all. So ive had to leave him, first time ive ever done it, so weve blocked all the holes up and going to go back tommorow, where do i go from there? Do they usually come straight out or what?

Be interesting to hear other peoples outcomes in this situation, cheers

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went for a walk upto the set with the staffy, first hole i unblocked nothing came out, then i saw the staff stiffing around one of the holes so i knew he was sat somewhere near that one, uncovered the

this is when a metal bolt trap can come in handy-bait it up and leave a coat over it.atb

Cheers bud, hes soft as shite, so i would have been gutted if i didnt get him back, glad i got him back when i did as i would have been worrying about him until i did    

Should be there,i would have come back with lamp n opened a hole with wind blowing down it,tied a gutted rabbit in front of hole,worked for me.Try it in morning.Get into habit of whistling every time you feed them.,

Hate leaving them,have never lost one(lucky so far),been out with people who left theirs,up to the individual i suppose. :D

• Like 2

Should be there,i would have come back with lamp n opened a hole with wind blowing down it,tied a gutted rabbit in front of hole,worked for me.Try it in morning.Get into habit of whistling every time you feed them.,

Hate leaving them,have never lost one(lucky so far),been out with people who left theirs,up to the individual i suppose. :D

i didnt have an option mate, i had the bird with me and it was getting dark he needed putting away and sorting. I will be there first thing tommorow. Its a rocky set aswell do if i went now id only break my ankle on a crack in the rocks lol. Im up there first thing though so hopefully get him back for breakfast time

i didnt have an option mate, i had the bird with me and it was getting dark he needed putting away and sorting. I will be there first thing tommorow. Its a rocky set aswell do if i went now id only break my ankle on a crack in the rocks lol. Im up there first thing though so hopefully get him back for breakfast time

Hope you get him,keep us posted on outcome :D

You can block him in and open the holes every day for a look . or block them all apart from one and dig a hole the size of a half a 45 galleon barrel keep the walls straight and smooth put a rabbit in the bottom the idea being the ferret comes out falls in cant get out till you get there .

It depends if he killed the rabbit and which side of it hes on he might have to eat his way threw it to get out . i lost a jill a burrow and i got her back nearly ten days later

You can block him in and open the holes every day for a look . or block them all apart from one and dig a hole the size of a half a 45 galleon barrel keep the walls straight and smooth put a rabbit in the bottom the idea being the ferret comes out falls in cant get out till you get there .

It depends if he killed the rabbit and which side of it hes on he might have to eat his way threw it to get out . i lost a jill a burrow and i got her back nearly ten days later

Jesus that long? I will keep trying, all the holes are deffinetly blocked up so at least i know he is down there, fingers crossed he will comes straight out ha

If you cant dig and hes stuck behind a dead rabbit theres nothing he can do but eat his way out ,how long would a full grown rabbit last one ferret ?? its no going to be a day or two

As the One has said it all depends the situation, if the ferret is stuck behind a rabbit, and cant get out, or killed the rabbit and just not coming out.

I had a Jill stuck behind a rabbit took me two days to dig her out, but I got her.

The two other times, was my fault, putting the ferret into deep warrens, too late in the day,

but as i said they came out next morning.

I now have a cage trap which i keep in the car boot, bought from Moxy on here.

Never need to use it, and hopefully never will.