Help Identifying Mushrooms Please

I see allsorts of different ones just seams a waste to leave them there, I like a few fried with my bacon and eggs, I am going to have the ones with blck gills tomorrow , I have eaten them before but not sure of these others, wheres the kids when you need them lol

• Like 1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is an old rhyme about mushrooms , hope this helps .         If you find them by a river , be prepared to lose your liver If you find them on the green , be prepared to lose your spleen If

dont mess with mushrooms unless your 100% sure! you shouldnt even be picking them mate if your unsure they can do yopu ALOT of harm. atb stay safe

THIS IS JUST A GUESS FROM A GRAINY PHOTO ON AN IPHONE, DO NOT EAT THEM.   The first one, does it have 'teeth' on the underside of the cap rather than gills? If so very possibly 'urchin of the woods

Posted Images

Hi would anyone care to comment on the names of these mushrooms please, the first ones were found under a wild apple tree near the coast in forrestry ,pembrey, llanelli, the others were found nearby but not near the apple tree, thanks for any help and advice , there are two pics of 3 types of mushroom, the last ones I think or eating mushrooms ,the first look good but the middle ones in particular, I am unsure of no 041_QVga.JPG no 042_QVga.JPG no 043_QVga.JPG no 044_QVga.JPG no 045_QVga.JPG no 046_QVga.JPG

THIS IS JUST A GUESS FROM A GRAINY PHOTO ON AN IPHONE, DO NOT EAT THEM.

The first one, does it have 'teeth' on the underside of the cap rather than gills? If so very possibly 'urchin of the woods' very nice cooked. JUST A GUESS FROM A PHOTO, DON'T EAT IT.

Does the second one stain yellow if it bruises or breaks? Hard to tell from a photo but if so at best some people can eat it with no problem, some get guts ache and an unlucky number end up in a coma. Possibly 'Agaricus xanthodermus'. DO NOT EAT IT THIS IS A GUESS FROM A PHOTO.

Last one could well be field mushroom if the frill is small and hangs down or horse mushroom if it has a bigger frill that points up at the cap. Horse mushroom is fine to eat but also stains yellow and can be confused with the one above with bad results.

THESE ARE JUST MY GUESSES AT GRAINY PHOTOS ON MY PHONE, RIGHT OR WRONG DO NOT EAT ANY FUNGUS YOU ARE UNSURE OF!

• Like 2

Go easy... There was a woman in the media a little while ago, poisoned her and her husband, she "knew " what she was doing..

Apparently, she used to pick the shrooms in her garden (feck knows how big her garden was) and add them to campbells mushroom soup, for her and the hubby, done it loads of times.. Got it wrong this time.. After spending the night on a toilet each, she got the idea to ring a doc, somethings not right.. Hospital job - He ended up dead, but she survived, down to the fact, the husband ate more of the soup..

Buy a mushroom grow bag. Much safer and pre-seeded. Put it under the stairs in a dark cupboard and pick safe mushrooms all year.

It can be a very dangerous game identifying mushrooms eg:

Chanterelle:

2007-07-14_Cantharellus_cibarius.jpg

False Chanterelle:

False%20Chanterelle%202.jpg

Top one great cooking. 2nd one, whilst not highly poisonous, can cause alarming symptoms in some people.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

Why take the risk, they aren't exactly a fortune to buy or that tasty to begin with.

I agree you shouldn't take a risk, but why keep a dog or a ferret for a rabbit, works out cheaper to buy chicken from the supermarket? Puffballs and field mushrooms are superior to most shop brought ones (although farmed chestnuts mushrooms are close). I've tried a few different types under the guidance of someone who knew what they were doing. I have to say the taste doesn't make up for the slight fear of 'am I about to shit my insides out, fall into a coma and die?' feeling as I was chewing.

• Like 2

Why take the risk, they aren't exactly a fortune to buy or that tasty to begin with.

I agree you shouldn't take a risk, but why keep a dog or a ferret for a rabbit, works out cheaper to buy chicken from the supermarket? Puffballs and field mushrooms are superior to most shop brought ones (although farmed chestnuts mushrooms are close). I've tried a few different types under the guidance of someone who knew what they were doing. I have to say the taste doesn't make up for the slight fear of 'am I about to shit my insides out, fall into a coma and die?' feeling as I was chewing.

Don't know of anyone who died from rabbit and we don't all just hunt for the table, we enjoy the hunt. Maybe it's the same with mushroom hunting. I've done a fair bit of it when I was younger, but I knew what I was looking for and the effect it gave me.

thanks for all the in put , only going to have the big last ones this morning , I know them and have had them before ,the other two types I am too unsure of , will have to go on a foraging course I think, the taste in wild mushrooms is much stronger, and its allways a nice feeling to have food for free from the wild lol

• Like 1

Isn't the rule if they have frills underneath do not eat them ??? ........

Or if there red with white spots you trip for 3 days straight......

remember years ago tripping on the mushies.one of my mates was out his face and taking bites out of those ones,with red and white spots lol

its the membrane skin,covering that shroom,that makes you trip.never did try it though.way to dodgy.thank f**k i hate mushrooms.vile things lol

my wife wont touch them , so no luck there lol, the ones that were white underneath have tuned dark brown now and look like the last ones, ive had a little taste of the ones I am unsure about , and it tastes very mushroomy and really nice , just a fingernail size piece, I remember the old days , school age picking and eating, what we found the little ones with the nipple on top and didnt worry at all but quite nervous about it now , strange isnt it as we get older possibly wiser lol