English History

thought thats when yous strung up poor Saddam to get your hands on his oil

Of course, you don't use petrol, diesel, gas and oil in Ireland do you? What do you run your cars on, poitin? :laugh:

Peat. :laugh:

• Like 4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To widen the debate slightly, why do we teach children, from a young age, the finer points of Diwali and the like, yet they are told little of English (and indeed British) history. What are they taugh

Peat.

English History seems to be something we should be ashamed of and some of it isn't even taught in schools any more, but Google have taken the biscuit with this PC nonsense today.   Google.co.uk (i.e

Ha ha, some Scottish bloke, think he was a catholic. He failed anyhow, why is it celebrated lol

Guy Fawkes was English...and it happened a long time ago. Therefore English History. :thumbs:

And Google is American, not sure why they should give two shits about a small annual event held on a tiny island to 'remember remember' a failed attempt at terrorism :laugh:

could it be that the guyfawks wont generate much merchandise not as lucrative as say Halloween my grand kids got wound up over Halloween down to it been promoted by the retail media nowt to do with history .My own opinion is we should teach our kids history as well as our traditions .

• Like 2

Ha ha, some Scottish bloke, think he was a catholic. He failed anyhow, why is it celebrated lol

Guy Fawkes was English...and it happened a long time ago. Therefore English History. :thumbs:

And Google is American, not sure why they should give two shits about a small annual event held on a tiny island to 'remember remember' a failed attempt at terrorism :laugh:

Do you know much about the history of the USA mate? :D Their history is very much our history, especially back when Guido Fawkes tried blowing the government and monarchy into a million tiny bits., I'd bet very few Yanks couldn't tell you who Guy Fawkes was when asked..

..and Google is a global business, its main page address is www.google.co.uk here.

To widen the debate slightly, why do we teach children, from a young age, the finer points of Diwali and the like, yet they are told little of English (and indeed British) history. What are they taught of the likes of Wellington, Nelson, Cromwell or the mighty Churchill?

When King Richard III's remains were identified recently, it was said on the news that he was the last English monarch to lead his troops into battle and the last monarch to die in battle - but how many knew that before it was reported?

But it's not only about the well-known figures, and English (and British) history has so much to take pride from.

Last year, I had the privilege of meeting a WW2 Spitfire pilot. I felt it was a genuine honour to meet a living hero of history, a man who helped shape the way we are today.(Those of us who truly understand what he did,anyway!)

(I'm getting to the point) History should not be a forgotten subject in a dusty old book - it should be a part of us all, a subject of collective pride and heritage.

I could go on, but you get the idea......................

Edited by Blackbriar
  • Like 8

even back in my school days,history consisted of battle of hastings 1066 norman conquest.then tbh no much else i can remember lol. what i know is from books,and stuff that interested me.

Think my school days were the same, we learnt about ww2 in primary school but in secondary i did history right through and did everything from Britain to the Romans....if someone tried teaching me about diwali or any other foreign bollocks i would be skipping school.

At the risk of upsetting you lot, :D

Can anybody actually tell us what is on a typical school history syllabus? Because I'll hazard a guess it's not fecking Diwaly, that's usually part of religious studies.

Yes we should learn more about our own history to encourage pride in our nation but lets not let a strong sense of nationalism impinge on learning about other cultures and world history. We don't just learn history to sit here all proud to be British, it's important to understand other cultures and their history for political and economic reasons.

• Like 1

Just to be clear,I never said Diwali was on a history syllabus.............................

Diwali is not just a religious festival - it also marks the beginning of the Indian financial year. Enough knowledge of other cultures and economics for you ? (I'm being sarky,BH!)

Just to be clear,I never said Diwali was on a history syllabus.............................

Diwali is not just a religious festival - it also marks the beginning of the Indian financial year. Enough knowledge of other cultures and economics for you ? (I'm being sarky,BH!)

So, you agree with me then? Sorry for confusing your post, just the topic of conversation was History not Religious studies. Whether kids should be taught other cultures religions is surely another debate?

That aside, you are complaining about kids not being taught English history but do we actually know what they are taught or just assume we do? I'm 25 and in my years of state education I covered a lot of British history as well as a couple of topics of other nations history like the American west. What exactly do we want to change?

even over here in northern Ireland theres a struggle going on to stay within Britain, all you get is you cant do that you cant do this now a days, even the marching season is being deemed as criminal . (personally I don't watch the bands) but thres only so much people will take as change before they take it to the streets. everywhere over the world and home britishness is being chipped away and our wanker$ in parliament is letting it happen. theres flag protests over here too arguing over the union and tricolour being taken down and flown. if it was me in power id say right take both down and stick up the northern flag as its the flag of our own country which is now deemed as sectarianism. FCUKING DISGRACE. theres a big part of English history to do with over here