Out shooting at the weekend with my pet golden retreiver. He's never been out on a shoot before.. typical town and house dog..brought him along for exercise only.

I see a duck flying down the river and popped it of.. the arkward bugger lands on opposite bank..

"Digger... fetch it.. go on boy." I gestured,throwing a stone as guidance. In he jumps and across the water.. pulls himself up on to bank, has a few sniffs and comes back.. doh!

So I walk up the bank.. cross a narrow waterfall fight my way through shrubs, barbed wire fences, jump ravines to grab my bird and fight way back. I lay the duck on the floor for Digs to have a sniff.

second duck... bang.. falls out of sky and lands with a splash the opposite end beside...."go boy... fetch it..go on...." he jumpz in..makes his way accross and nudges duck with nose.. "good booooy.fetch it. Come on.. he gently nips it. With more praise he gently mouths the whole duck and swims it back to me, climbs on the bank and offers it to me... what an amazing dog. Love him to bits!

• Like 9

• 10 months later...

i wish my mrs dogs were that good but a rottie and bullmastiff dont make good retrievers :). one would eat the duck and the other just sit there looking at you then have a nap.

one of my mrs guinea pigs had died so i put it in the garden and said to the mastiff to fetch... he went and got his ball.

great to see a dog do its job though, and it looks like theres nomore shrubs and barbwire now either for you :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.