Venison, pheasant, hare and rabbit, if I am lucky a bit of boar.

Thats it with a bit of salt and pepper, a splash of red wine, and a good pastry

Well when I do a game pie, I found the best tactic is to be simple.

Never use pigeon and as said before I think partridge is too good for a mix!

I use venison, pheasant, hare and rabbit and if I am lucky to get hold of some then some boar.

I cook it like this.

Melt some butter in a large frying pan/saucepan, add a few chopped shallots and season this with a couple of sprigs of rosemary and a few juniper berries, and just let this cook a bit (about a minute if that!)

add the meat diced up, I normally stagger it so venison 1st, then the hare, then rabbit.

Let all this brown making sure that it doesn't stick.

Add a glass of port or red wine, make sure it's a decent one, if you wouldn't drink it don't cook with it!

Let this cook for about 15/20 minutes stirring every now and then so not to let anything stick then top up with a splash of water, season with a bit more salt and pepper, and simmer for a few minutes

Take of the hob and let it sit off the heat for about 10 minutes to let all the juices soak into the meats, and the flavours infuse and then add the mix into the pie dish and place pastry on top make a slit in the middle, brush with a beaten egg and place into a preheated oven at about gas mark 5/6 and let it cook for about 30/40 minutes.

Always works for me.