Morning Ferreting With The Dog

Went ferreting yesterday with the dog. Me, him, ferrets and a dozen nets just as I like it. I use the nets to get a couple of unmarked rabbits for an old guy I know then I lift them and let the dog have some fun.

First warren the dog marked was a 15 holer, once netted the ferret placed in what looked like the most used hole, both me and jasper waited. We didn't have to wait long and the ferret was out another hole. He soon disappeared again, I gave jasper a sideward look but he just kept looking at the holes ears cocked. He's not the best marker but not the worst so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. 5 minutes gone no sign of the ferret, no sign of a rabbit either, not a rumble, nothing. By now Jasper's concentration has waining, tongue lolling with a ohh well look on his face. I don't mind him false marking when there his rabbits, no nets down but it's a pain when you've netted up. Still it happens and it's only a dozen nets.

Ferret out, nets lifted we moved on to a few holes where I seen a rabbit disappear, no need for Jasper's nose here. I netted the 5 holes and put the same ferret in. Rumbles straight away, within seconds a net exploded, I quickly grabbed it but before I could re-net it or stand on the hole a second rabbit burst out the same hole and was off. Jasper slightly delayed by watching me and the netted rabbit soon was in pursuit. The rabbit was heading for the fence with jasper closing in fast. He was close enough to pressurize it into bending from the fence, as this was happening another rabbit bolted into a net, I quickly stood on the net securing it from escape while I watched jasper in full flight. They were both running parallel to the fence, Jasper within striking distance, the rabbit jinked then headed away from the fence, jasper never lost an inch and expertly picked it up. He brought it back to me, gave it a couple of rib crunching bites and dropped it at my feet, dead. Which in this case was handy since I still had a rabbit in hand and one under foot plus a ferret bored with being underground meandering down the field. Ferreting don't you love it? It goes from sitting doing nothing to chaos in seconds.

3 rabbits, 2 unmarked for a neighbour, the nets were put away and we all set off to find more fun for jasper. The rest of the day went relatively uneventful, jasper caught another 4, 5 if you count a bag of bones mixy squatter. 7 rabbits in the bag we headed home. Sorry I've no pictures for those who prefer picture books to reading but I hope you enjoyed reading it anyhow. I'm going lamping tonight, Jasper gets a little stiff after a day out so I tend to go every second day (I count a morning and late the next night as 2 days ha) It's my fault for working him so hard over the years so we settle for that. I'll let you know how we get on, happy hunting SR.

• Like 1

Thanks all, great to know ferrety there are a few of us about ha. I'm going out ferreting at 9, weather ain't to bad if you wrap up. Jasper's up for it anyhow, I'll let you know how I get on. Happy hunting SR

Not long in from lamping, got 5, rabbits weren't playing ball. I was meant to be going ferreting the day but clean forgot it was my dads birthday ha. Netted up the first hole, ferret in when I got a text from my mum, breakfast is on, arghhhh. Never mind, I'll write up the lamping in the morning, my beds shouting on me.

Toby, maybe once I've sussed this place out I might. Threads like guys stealing photos for preloved, dogs getting stolen , etc etc kind of makes me reluctant. I'll describe him to you, he's a big lad, 27tts, 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippet. Markings body white with brown or ginger patches, one over his right eye and ear, end of tail large one on his right flank and on his belly on the left. He doesn't look nothing special, like a greyhound with a small head ha, has a deep chest and wide stance so plenty of lung for this type, has lost a bit of pace over the years but can still shift. Hope this paints a picture for you