Don't Know Why People Reccomend Beddyxwhippet For 1St Lurcher

I find that a lot of lurcher self proclaimed experts tend to generalise way too much with regards to breed traits etc. While some traits do get carried over, they would do well to remember that dogs of all breeds are individuals. You only have to glance at a hancock thread to get the idea.

I had a 3/4 whippet beddie as my first ever lurcher and he was a delight to own. Now a lot of years down the line my only dog is a whippet x collie/grey, and he would test the patience of a saint.

Yours in sport Pernod

• Like 3

Skycat in your opinion would this cross make a good novices dog ? Bearing in mind a lot of beginners would be keen a lot would probably enter it too early and run it on anything and everything across a whole spectrum of land types taking into account the dogs size and stature there's not much scope for error would that be the ideal dog ? For me they need careful entering and someone who knows what there after! appreciate your response Paul

After having lurchers all me life decided on a beddyxwhippet for me new hunting companion (2 year old now) lovely little bitch now but quite difficult in 1st year still needs good handling now to keep her from hunting on ect also with this cross you've got to know there limits there a dog for people that have specific requirements in my opinion no good as an allrounder imo no good taking them on big open land and the like some will disagree but for me their a good dog if u know what u want but not a beginner's dog for me

wharrier, surely no one would buy a first cross beddy/whippet as a allrounder, in fact i,v got a 3/4 bred dog and even they arnt allrounders, although they are more versatile than the first cross, they make very good rabbit dogs, but if you want to do anything bigger or faster then theres better places to start than a beddy/whippet no matter what percentage. In my experiance i,d be looking for somthing thats going to make 24" plus which rules out most genuine beddy/whippet blooded dogs. Would they make a good first dog, imo no, nothing wrong with the dogs though, but most folk new to the game change their minds about what they want a dog for, one day its ferreting, then they meet someone who does Hares so decied they need something faster, the day after its fox, etc, etc, its the people that buy them that expect too much of the cross thats the problem, atb, buster.

Edited by buster gonads

no good taking them on big open land,

Anyone who is thinking of getting a working dog, should do their homework, Beddy X Whippets are rabbiting and Ratting Dogs.

The above statement does not make sense, unless there were Rabbits on the big open land with burys.

They do have a big prey drive, but so do other crosses.

I worked a first cross Whippet X Bedlington for 9 Seasons, on land surrounded by Pheasant estates no problem.

Its all about Horses for courses, if you do a lot of ferreting, then this cross is ideal.

If a beginner does not do any homework, then it wouldnt matter what cross they had.

• Like 2

I honestly don't have much experience with Beddy crosses, but someone far more knowledgeable than me told me that training a Beddy cross needs far more sensitivity than a Collie lurcher. Most Collie lurchers, in his opinion, are far more forgiving of an owner's mistakes than Beddy types.

Whatever type you go for as a first dog, I'd be looking more at the temperaments of the parents, and their parents, as well as choosing the most laid back pup in the litter, than worrying about what exact breed to go for. One thing I would avoid is something with more than a teeny tiny dash of Saluki in it. Salukis are in a world of their own as far as temperament/mentality is concerned, and many experienced dog handlers can't deal with them, let alone a first time owner. They really are a special type which often can't be trained using formal methods.

I'd ask around and look for a lurcher to lurcher bred litter, and most importantly, take someone who really knows what they are doing with you when you go and see the litter: not just old matey down the road who claims to know it all!

• Like 2

How can anyone judge a whole type or breed based on one, or even three, examples?

Folk have been judging Hancock bred dogs for 30 years....and the "they're a pile of f****n shit" comments more often than not come from folk who ain't ever had one....or at best had an uncle who worked beside a fella whose lad's girfriend's brother once got one from a rescue home..... :thumbs:

Never had a beddy x whippet...but I know a lad who has one....never seen the wee dog run in its prime...but in its later years I saw it outwit and out manoeuvre some decent bigger dogs on more than one occasion..... :thumbs:

• Like 3

I have had lurchers for while now myself and own a we beddy whippet just now and it would of made a great we first dog for any one loyal and does everything its told.and johny2 why cant you believe a cross whippet can and is better than a whippet lol

I have 1/2 and 3/4 bred beddy whippets, they are decent ferreting dogs for the type of ground we do, as is a pure whippet. My ferreting mate runs pure whippets. I think both can be good rabbit dogs and I really don't think I would say one was better than the other, there is good and bad in everything, I realise you say this tounge in cheek.

I have had lurchers for while now myself and own a we beddy whippet just now and it would of made a great we first dog for any one loyal and does everything its told.and johny2 why cant you believe a cross whippet can and is better than a whippet lol

I have 1/2 and 3/4 bred beddy whippets, they are decent ferreting dogs for the type of ground we do, as is a pure whippet. My ferreting mate runs pure whippets. I think both can be good rabbit dogs and I really don't think I would say one was better than the other, there is good and bad in everything, I realise you say this tounge in cheek.

your 100% right mate was just winding johny2 up hes always having a dig at the beddy crosses whippets can be great dogs atb

I have done a fair bit of ferreting with pure bedlingtons and pure whippets and can't see that crossing the two ads much to the future generation which improves its working ability as a ferreting dog. Yes you may look at the bedlington works cover slightly better. But I certainly would not want to put any more terrier into my whippets.

If you have a good working strain of whippet they should be game little dogs anyway.

Crossing the two certainly doesn't improve speed, intelligence or gameness. And as for coat I have seen coats on some bedlington xs in the past to be paper thin.

I think the two breeds the whippet and the bedlington in this case have there own uses as pure breeds.

But I am sure there has been some good crossed beddyxwhippets that have excelled at the ferreting job.

Alb.

• Like 1