Ida Coyote Coursing Season 2013-14

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We started a little slow this year catching one here one there, but picked up the slack yesterday and caught 4. I picked up a and new female during the summer and got her on two and she didn't disappo

December 6th , 2013     Words from Uphill- Steve Thomas passed away today. He was in the end stages of cancer. He knew he had a very short time left, but never complained and only asked th

i suppose the dogs are there to be tested ...running em to ground then shooting them aint testing them imo. Granted its frowned upon over here but its probably the done thing over there. No different

Posted Images

Thanks and WOW!

One thing I've always wondered is what else, apart from coyotes, live on that sort of ground. Ground hogs? But what about hares? Or something similar. It would seem strange for that kind of open land not to contain hares of some sort: they are all over the rest of the world but I don't hear of them in the US much.

There doesn't seem to be a coursing community over there: any thoughts on that?

Brill pics :yes: , same as skycat do you get many rabbits or hares out there, as the yotes got to eat somting.? would imagine your stags would do well on rabbit+hares ,with there speed+stamina, or dont you bother and just do yotes.??

skycat/bird-Our blacktail jackrabbits (hares) mostly stay where the sage is thick, so not great running. The coyotes live on mice, voles, whistle pigs (gophers), badger, antelope fawns, deer fawns, sheep and calves etc...
We run jacks on the lamp, and on the occasion we find one in the open. There are spots and folks here that just run hares.

Take care.

Spotlightin jack rabbits in standin on a flatbed rig aint for the faint of heart. That sumbitchin Scotty tried to kill me.

Of course surfin on top of the riggin box drunker than 10 Indians on tequila at 10 pm going around them curves up in them mountains aint all that safe neither. HAHA!

Edited by Dan Edwards
  • Like 2

Spotlightin jack rabbits in standin on a flatbed rig aint for the faint of heart. That sumbitchin Scotty tried to kill me.

Of course surfin on top of the riggin box drunker than 10 Indians on tequila at 10 pm going around them curves up in them mountains aint all that safe neither. HAHA!

Kin eloquent and PC as always Dan FLMAO :laugh:

One thing i've always wanted to know is how fast are the Pronghorns when compared to a white tail or a jackrabbit? if it were legal I'd love to have a pop at one of those 'speed-goats'...

Lets just say this. Good luck catchin a white tail with a dog unless the situation is way in your dogs favor and catching a pronghorn aint friggin happening unless something goes drastically wrong for the goat.

One thing i've always wanted to know is how fast are the Pronghorns when compared to a white tail or a jackrabbit? if it were legal I'd love to have a pop at one of those 'speed-goats'...

Lets just say this. Good luck catchin a white tail with a dog unless the situation is way in your dogs favor and catching a pronghorn aint friggin happening unless something goes drastically wrong for the goat.

You need some desert blood or a Beddywhippet mate :thumbs:

:laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I've always wondered about Pronghorn. They said that the Blackbuck of India was uncatchable but I think some pure saluki's caught them by a war of attrition.

How would, say, a greyhound compare to a whitetail, speedwise? thanks JD

I haven't seen a dog yet that can outrun a deer that's actually moving and meaning to get away. Anybody that tells you they have I say is full of shit cuz it just don't work that way. I assume a pure greyhound that could run close to 50 or so would be about the same speed but man they wouldn't last long. Them pronghorn gotta be hittin upwards of 60 mph I'd say. All I know is they can fly!

• Like 1