sinking ducks

Mate they are diving. I suspect you're not killing the cleanly and they are diving because they can't fly.

You'll know yourself how the birds are that you've shot over dry land, but if that is the case you should take steps to improve the kill. Might be the gun / carts pattern, the shot size you're using, the range or just plain accuracy.

John

Mate they are diving. I suspect you're not killing the cleanly and they are diving because they can't fly.

You'll know yourself how the birds are that you've shot over dry land, but if that is the case you should take steps to improve the kill. Might be the gun / carts pattern, the shot size you're using, the range or just plain accuracy.

John

the gun patterns very tight with 3inch steel 4,s so normmaly its either a clean hit of total miss. Most of the time their dead as doornails but you do get the odd runners same as when shooting pigeons. Its just that when they come down in water 30% just sink ? I,d have thought that if they wernt clean kills and they were diving the buggers would be coming back up for air but this isnt the case.

i have see this before they dive alright in rivers mostly and swim to the bank then come up for air

hard to see them in reeds.try run ur dog alond both sides of the banks might flush them out or i have see them dip under when the dog gets near them and just come up again.i was told years ago that they dive down and holded onto reeds and drowned themselfs but i don't know he was a doppy old c**t.cheers sounder

Hello i get them diving at the foreshore if not killed right & dive & stay down ie think they grab the weed/kelp etc.I normally shoot them again as the dog struggle's as they dive when the dog get's near as sounder said.Auto culto maybe be with your tight choke & 3" cart they sink with weight :laugh: .

Edited by v-max

hehe i got fed up with the sinking ducks :icon_redface: so i though I'd have a stroll with the .223 to see if i could nab a fox that's been bothering the sheep. Seems i didn't get that right either but nailed this fella from a flock of around 40 that have been persistently damaging crops on my permission. Anyway the whole flock landed in the next field to me :thumbs: , they couldn't have been in a better position so i duly air mailed one a .223 40gr round at 153 yards . Not exactly sporting but when chances are handed on a plate you cant say no sometimes. At least this bugger didn't sink :laugh: and it'll do great for Sunday dinner.

post-7902-1189277644_thumb.jpg