Hello,

My fac licence is due to come through the post anytime soon, it has been granted for a .22 with moderator and a .17 with moderator

I am wanting it mainly to shoot and lamp rabbits,

I am thinking the .17 hmr is what I want but still not 100% convinced

What have you got for sale preferably looking for. Full set up including scope, bipod and moderator

Cheers

In my opinion if you are going to shoot Rabbits you need the .22 with moderator and subsonic ammo.

With a .17HMR the cost per shot is too high, there is too much meat damage and one shot clears the ground for a long way as the noise will be far too loud even with a moderator (any moderator).

The .17HMR is ideal for long range Corvids or possibly long range Rabbits where they have been shot at too often and you cannot get close enough for the .22.

It might be worth looking on: www.tmguns.co.uk

Regards,

XD.

Good advise from ShooterXD. I own both calibers and as i see it theres a tool for every job, a moderated .22 sounds like a mouse fart compared to a HMR in the field. i would say buy a CZ 452 in .22 stick a SAK mod on it, 200+ rounds of CCI subs and go enjoy it. .17 HMR is a great round turning crows to feathers or knocking rabbits over at 200 yards. Enjoy the .22 LR first you will be supprised what it can do once you have master the trajectory. just another thing bud, i wouldnt buy a second hand HMR unless you no the rifle or you can try it first.

Hi Colley,

Whilst I agree with the thinking of the responses, I have personally found that the loud report of the HMR seems to confuse them! When I started out with my .22 rimmie, the rabbits could hear their fellow rabbits getting picked off (the body thud) and this sent them running. On a more experienced shooter's recommendation, I took the HMR and voilà! This is night shooting by the way, in the daytime I have had mixed results.

With regards to meat damage, I found my HMR to be more accurate than my .22 and found head shots very easy at reasonable distances.

By the way, I'm selling my HMR if you're interested and before the sceptical ones jump on this, its purely because I have recently bought a .22 Hornet and cannot justify them both.

It a CZ 527 american with a 10 shot (plastic) magazine, proofed mod, Hawke Eclipse scope. If you're interested, just PM me and give you further information.

The other reason I'm selling this one is I have also had a pop at 2 foxes and sensible distances and failed to make a clean kill, again, the .22 Hornet is a bit more capable. I do have a foxing rifle in .223 but wanted a light weight that could do both comfortably and as I homeload, it make economic sense too.

Regards,

Ben.