well lads im only new to wildfowling and in our area we do get a few geese knocking round throughout the season and i was wondering what catridges i should use , and also what would be a good call to get?.

thanks for any help :)

I think lead is also banned on the foreshore in Ireland so of that is the case you will need to use a non toxic type cartridge. Steel has proofed to be a cheap alternative but not all guns are proofed for steel so check the side of the barrel that you can use steel, I have had some success with steel but don't find it patterns too well in my shotgun compared with TM. Also where possible I will use 3" length cartridges for geese if you gun is able to chamber 3".

My personal favourite is tungsten matrix I find it to be a hard hitting fast load as near to lead as possible but it's not cheap however with coastal wildfowling you're unlikely to be emptying many cartridges in a visit that's for sure.

I would avoide bismuth like the plague as I have found it to be abysmal.

For geese I would use number 3's it's big enough for geese whilst maintaining so form of pattern. If lead IS permitted then I would suggest the same in lead

Good luck!

Banagher in co.offaly i assume. No lead ban in the south yet as far as i know. Stick to the good old lead as long as you can. Do you know what type of geese you have? Down there i imagine there grey geese of some sort, either greylags or whitefronts. The later are protected. For greylags something like 40grams of 4 or 5 will do your job well. Rc's, B&p's or noble sports are all worth having. Rc 40 semi magnums in 5 would be my choice if you can get your hands on them. Will advise you on calls when i know what type of geese you have. ATB Mark. :thumbs:

Banagher in co.offaly i assume. No lead ban in the south yet as far as i know. Stick to the good old lead as long as you can. Do you know what type of geese you have? Down there i imagine there grey geese of some sort, either greylags or whitefronts. The later are protected. For greylags something like 40grams of 4 or 5 will do your job well. Rc's, B&p's or noble sports are all worth having. Rc 40 semi magnums in 5 would be my choice if you can get your hands on them. Will advise you on calls when i know what type of geese you have. ATB Mark. :thumbs:

remi i think theirs a few canadas knocking around seen a few and sometimes snow geese seen a flock of about 20 last year in the callows so hopefully theyll be back around this year:)

The canadas are spreading out well. No shortage of good canada calls out there. I'd go for one of the poly carbonate calls like zinc, primos or buck gardner calls. All will call geese when you get used to blowing them. 20 snow's would be a nice sight. Id settle for 1, preferably at 25 yards with his feet down!! :thumbs: