Stoppers

lads any of use no any good ways of protecting the stoppers on a dog iv a dog here always has busted stoppers I got one removed but he still seems to bust them he goes very hard on lanes while chasing hares in the field hes grand any ideas would be great

Brendy, that reads like your running him on tarmac..??

Funny 'ol thing stoppers, when you think about it its just a pad thats higher on the leg. Now if your dog was going lame with soft pads, you'd make sure it got enough road work to toughen 'em up.

If your dog is thin skinned and then is only exercised on a lead, no matter how demanding it may be, stoppers will be little used and skin easily.

So with stoppers, if you want to get 'em a bit tougher, get 'em used more. Try a bit of rabbit lamping on good fields with easy rabbits, maybe simply open play a few times a week, pissing about a field with another dog.

Just types of stuff to get your dog into a stop/start exercise, to use those stoppers more and toughen 'em up for its 'real running'.

mate the dog gets run behind the van 3 nights a week and a bit of free running as well and he not running on tarmac but theres lanes on some of the ground I run and the hares head straight for when he get on the lanes hes picking up speed to try and lift the hare the hare turns he slames the brakes on as hard as it just seams like every hare he chases go to the road or a lane and im not one for holding up if he sees it there away

lads any of use no any good ways of protecting the stoppers on a dog iv a dog here always has busted stoppers I got one removed but he still seems to bust them he goes very hard on lanes while chasing hares in the field hes grand any ideas would be great

Brendy, that reads like your running him on tarmac..??

Funny 'ol thing stoppers, when you think about it its just a pad thats higher on the leg. Now if your dog was going lame with soft pads, you'd make sure it got enough road work to toughen 'em up.

If your dog is thin skinned and then is only exercised on a lead, no matter how demanding it may be, stoppers will be little used and skin easily.

So with stoppers, if you want to get 'em a bit tougher, get 'em used more. Try a bit of rabbit lamping on good fields with easy rabbits, maybe simply open play a few times a week, pissing about a field with another dog.

Just types of stuff to get your dog into a stop/start exercise, to use those stoppers more and toughen 'em up for its 'real running'.

This type of injury is common at start of season when ground is hard , little bit of Vaseline on cut stopper ,then small stamp size piece of rubber inner tube held on with vet wrap few inch's ether side and insulation tape at top and bottom of vet wrap (not too tight )with Vic's rubbed all over this to stop dog pulling it off...job done

• Like 2

See what your saying now Brendy. There is a place near me with a few hares on, soon as a dog puts one up, its off the field first chance and on to the hardcore and shale paths and away. They know the game! :yes:

chook ill try them they look spot on

I've used them when ever my dogs stoppers have been sore or abit cut, there bang on much better then vet rap as I've heard a few times if its applied too tight it can cause more damage then good when dogs are twisting and turning