Secret Weapons

There are piles of running walkers that "could" catch but don't. The ones that can and do are really something. I'm having a good time with the sighthounds right now but I expect to switch over to the collie lurchers once they get old enough. We'll see where I go from there. I still can't find a soul that has hunted them on bobcat. There aren't more than a handful of people in the US that even know what is possible with a collie based lurcher, they all think the only thing they can do is chase something down after it runs out of a hole. That makes trying to find someone that might have used them for cats or fox nearly impossible. I'll have to think of a clever way to go about asking that question on BGH and see what I get.

When are you going to loose the secret?

There are piles of running walkers that "could" catch but don't. The ones that can and do are really something. I'm having a good time with the sighthounds right now but I expect to switch over to the collie lurchers once they get old enough. We'll see where I go from there. I still can't find a soul that has hunted them on bobcat. There aren't more than a handful of people in the US that even know what is possible with a collie based lurcher, they all think the only thing they can do is chase something down after it runs out of a hole. That makes trying to find someone that might have used them for cats or fox nearly impossible. I'll have to think of a clever way to go about asking that question on BGH and see what I get.

When are you going to loose the secret?

Never! HAHA!

A good collie lurcher put to a really good Walker Coonhound would be dynamite.

That would be a sight if it didn't shut them up on track. How far are you from Jamestown, IL.? They are holding the Leopard World Hunt there this weekend at the Jamestown Coon Club. If I was going I would swing by and pick you up but I'm watching my daughter (1 year old) and can not make it.

I've hunted with a dog that was 1/2 American Leopard Hound (not a Catahoula), 1/4 Plott and 1/4 Boarder Collie. That one could catch bobcats almost at will. During one of her last seasons, she caught 9 bobcat on the ground by herself...unheard of! I think she was almost 100% for that whole season except for one cat in a tight spruce plantation. Bows to the ground and nothing but small rabbit sized runways for acres. Can't blame her for not locking that one down.

My only other experience with Collie crosses is the litter I just made (American Stag x Boarder Collie). I have four of them left and will eventually go down to two. They are three months old so I don't have much to report except that they are very nicely built, pay attention to what I'm saying and healthy. I'll be able to tell more when they are a couple of years old. The sire is a tough S.O.B. and built to work hard with some good leg on him.

• Like 1

The stag x collie pups should turn out pretty much like the gh x collie crosses. The only differences would be that the stag is spectifically bred for hunting instead of the track but carries a similar body type. If the can run a warm track I'll be very happy and if they can cold trail, jump and catch like the dogs in that Andrew's videos, I'll be singing it to the world.

Edwards has had some dogs that fit this bill for a while based on mtn. cur crosses and could tell some good stories on the matter. Let's hear one Dan.